MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/12/2012 05:03 PM

Not sure how to explain.....(page 3)

FibroCFS
FibroCFS  

Flares can be a day or two and even into years. There have been cases where people have had to go into a wheelchair. I had this happen to a friend although this was many, many years ago. She eventually did get out of the chair and did lead a somewhat normal life, for us anyway. Of course she would get less severe flares but none the less, flares that would make her very sick and a lot of pain. Like what most of us go through.

05/12/2012 05:35 PM
Julzy
Julzy  

Thanks, Angie! I will check it out. I was highly anxious before my life with fibro, so can you imagine how tightly wired I must be now!! Dr gave it for sleep but must of had something else in mind too.

I usually don't recognize myself as being highly anxious, until someone, like my husband points it out......but in a nice way... Lol. Tongue

Important thing is, two nights in a row and slept well!

Post edited by: Julzy, at: 05/12/2012 05:37 PM

05/12/2012 05:40 PM
Julzy
Julzy  

FibroCFS- that's awful and so sad......I had no idea flares could be so diverse and especially long lasting.

When you're living n the land of the nonfibro folk, how easy it is to not to take the time to understand...

Thanks for the info

Julzy

05/12/2012 05:50 PM
mem6526

Julz, Flares can last years....everyone is different. I cannot remember the last time I was pain free. It has been that long. UGH! Sad Whistling

05/12/2012 07:17 PM
Fantod

Julzy - Your doctor is not likely to ever give you any kind of narcotic to manage pain on bad days. This is how doctors think about pain. If you the patient have any quality of life than you don't need narcotics - period. That may not be the right attitude but it is the one most physicians apply to chronic pain situations.

The biggest thing that I see in your posts is not enough quality sleep which is a work in progress and too much activity overall. You need to have a serious sit down with yourself about the pace you keep trying to maintain. I know that finding a balance with Fibromyalgia (FMS) is tough. I honestly think that if you dial things back, your pain levels may not be as extreme or have such wild swings. It is certainly worth trying for 30 days to see if it helps. Paybacks are hell when it comes to FMS. Lealrnign to say "no" without feeling guilty is hard. Practice makes perfect. Continuing to push can actually set you back days, weeks or even a month or more.

Right now, you are having a flare which is not pleasant and there is no way to predict how long it may last. I'm really sorry that you are so uncomfortable. We have all been there. Give some thought about trying to better manage your rest requirements and see if that helps over time.

I hope that you have a lovely and restful Mother's Day.

05/12/2012 07:36 PM
mabri
mabri  
VIP Member

Julzy,

I think you got some really good answers here. I wish it was like most diseases and we could get some kind of time line of when we would feel better, but that's not the case. I agree with Fantod that you are going to have to change some things in your life to make things easier for you. I was always on the go and doing things and I have had to stop it now. If I don't, I pay dearly for what I have done to myself. Is it fair? No! But it is reality.

I'm sorry you have been hurting and wish your dr would give you something to help you with the pain. You may have to demand that she give you something! There has to be something that she is willing to prescribe. Hope you get to feeling better soon. HUGS

05/12/2012 08:48 PM
Julzy
Julzy  

Thanks guys... All great food for thought....Fantod, you are so right with what you say.....i have always been on the hyperactive side, so I'm finding this to be especially hard. But before fibro I would go like the energizer bunny for twelve or more hours a day. It's just my nature and metabolism, it's like Im running by a motor, and its something I can't help, even when I want to turn it off. I have a very hard time " quieting down" inside. But in the past I would fall right asleep at night.

Now I'm still dealing with that high energy state, but feel a sense of exhaustion from not sleeping and the pain...It's so odd. You are all very right about the need to change your lifestyle and pace. I am going to really start working on that.

One more thing: Today, I cleaned the house like crazy for my parents visit, and didn't hurt nearly as bad as yesterday.... So you really can't know what to expect with fibro, right????

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 3 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved