MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/11/2012 08:49 PM

Not sure how to explain.....(page 2)

gerinaz

Yes it does suck, and yes, flares sometimes last forever. FM is so predictable and yet so unpredictable. Sometimes I think think that the time in between flares is more dangerous. That is the time when we convince ourselves that we need to do that chore we have been putting off, like cut wood or wash windows, etc. We get a false sense of "I'm o.k.", and we can cause ourselves problems for weeks. You'd think we would learn. Feel better fast.

Geri

05/11/2012 09:00 PM
AJ1971
AJ1971  

Lol ya ur right u wld think we would learn but we don't must be fibro fog I forgot what it did to me the last time I got stupid.

05/12/2012 03:49 AM
Julzy
Julzy  

Wow! You guys are so helpful! It wasn't the answer I was hoping to hear, but thanks just the same. I can't believe we all have so much in common sometimes. Angel. I now believe stress has a lot to do with it! I'm stressing over the weekend with family coming, the prom, Haiti dinner at church on Sat, of which I am not going to participate in this year, but my husband is making Haitian chicken in our kitchen for 100 people!

Good news from Rheumy! She gave me a work note so that I can continue with only two-3 hr days a week. I asked about adding more if I felt up to it and she said, no stick with this for now. She gave me something to help me sleep better ( Clonazepam) which has worked twice now!

But NO PAIN pills for bad days, just the cymbalta!! it's like she doesn't hear me.......

Hope today is a good one for you all!

05/12/2012 03:59 AM
gerinaz

S.T. I'm glad your doc at least gave you something to relax so you can get sleep. Klonopin is a very good relaxant. I am sorry, though that she still doesn't realize that you need something for breakthrough pain. Did you bring up the issue to her??

Geri

05/12/2012 04:03 AM
Julzy
Julzy  

I did bring up the need for something for those really bad moments on both visits, Ger~ and it was kind of like she brushed past that point. : (

I'm really glad to hear Klonopin is good, as I'd never heard of it before

05/12/2012 04:13 AM
gerinaz

My son has taken it off and on for years and now, with his neurological disorder, it does wonders when he is feeling stressed or can't sleep. It is his "go to" med when he needs to relax. I am glad it is helping you. SO.....what do you do or take when you need something for breakthrough???? You must be wearing out those bullets!!

05/12/2012 06:33 AM
Chocovan

I'm sorry you feel so bad and I know the feeling, of not knowing what is happening to our body, not having any control except the all encompassing PAIN that we have to live with everyday and like the others have suggested and no one is trying to discourage you most of us have gone threw where you are now and most of us are still there the only thing that we can suggest is be good to yourself, and as said before stress has a lot to do with this, so relax take a nice epson salt bath with candles around and soft music for a little while and see if that will help. Take care and good luck

05/12/2012 02:56 PM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

I read something once that we don't remember pain. We remember that we HAD pain. But we don't remember the pain itself. Unlike, say, a smell. Once we smell something that triggers a memory for us, pleasant or unpleasant, we'll remember it forever, and if we smell that same smell again, we can relive the moment. Smell is very strongly tied to memory.

But pain isn't. If we remembered, and re-experienced pain as strongly as a smell memory will do for us, we'd never do anything risky, we'd never have more than one child, etc. It's an evolutionary coping mechanism, so the whole human race doesn't die out!

So... I think sometimes, when we have a good day or week or month, with low pain and no flares, we "forget" how bad it sometimes is. We remember that we HAD pain or a flare or whatever, but not actually the pain itself. So that's where the thinking "I'm ok" or "I must be getting better" or even "maybe it's gone away" (which may also be a bit of that denial creeping back in).

Then we over do it. We run the chainsaw, we mow the half acre property, we volunteer to organize the entire wedding, etc. Then... inevitably, we flare. And we're sorry that we forgot how bad it can be, sorry we did whatever it was that triggered the flare (like stress).

We do it to ourselves, yes. But I think at least some of the blame (not that it helps any!) at the feet of Evolution.

05/12/2012 04:34 PM
Julzy
Julzy  

Moira~ cool theory about not remembering pain. Well said.

I can totally relate!

05/12/2012 04:49 PM
mem6526

Julz,

Klonopin is an anti-anxiety med but people also use it for sleep.

It should help to relax you and take the edge off. Here is some information on it. I know a bunch of people that take it. Hope that it helps you. Wink

http://www.drugs.com/klonopin.html

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved