I'm an Advocate

Me too horrible isnt it feel like I havent slept at all

in the morning feel jetlaged

hope you have a good sleep tonight

Gentle hugs

Bobby

04/28/2012 11:51 PM
gerinaz

I go between not being able to sleep for an entire night to the other extreme, where I can sleep for 12 or more hours (waking a few times for a drink, meds or to pee). The weird thing is that even when I sleep for a long time, I have a hard time waking up and I still feel tired. This all falls into the category of different levels of sleep. I have had 3 sleep studies done over the years, and we found that I have apnea (but not bad enough for me to use a cpap), unexplained palpitations, and the worse thing for me is NIGHT TERRORS. I often wake my husband up with blood curdling screams during the night. I have even frightened neighbors on evenings when we can sleep with windows open. There are times when I believe a dream caused the terror and other times when I don't remember dreaming, but I felt as though the terror was caused by something physical. The terrors get my heart rate up so high that I feel like my heart is going to burst. I have been hospitalized for several batteries of heart related tests and there is NOTHING wrong with my heart. Since no one has ever given me a definitive explanation of all of this, my opinion is that it is all related to the chronic pain of back problems and fms in addition to some of the side affects of the meds that I take.

It seems that all members of the group have some type of sleeping disorder. FMS strikes again!!!!

Geri

04/29/2012 12:01 AM
mem6526

Fibromyalgia and Sleep:

Are you having trouble sleeping because you have fibromyalgia? Most people with the disease complain of trouble sleeping. No matter how long they sleep, it is rarely restful. Here's some information that can help you get a better night's sleep.

What Sleep Problems Are Common With Fibromyalgia?

Sleep problems with fibromyalgia include insomnia or difficulty falling asleep as well as frequent awakening in which you become awake enough to remember them the next day. An even more common problem is awakenings that you don't remember but that definitely interrupt your "deep" sleep. Also, other sleep disorders -- such as restless legs syndrome and sleep apnea -- may be associated with fibromyalgia.

People with fibromyalgia talk about waking up day after day feeling exhausted with no energy. Usually, they feel more tired in the morning, and many go back to sleep during the day to ease their fatigue. Also, it's common for people with fibromyalgia to have great difficulty concentrating during the day, a condition called "fibro fog."

Pain or other symptoms of fibromyalgia such as depression and anxiety also contribute to sleep problems.

http://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/guide/fibromayalgia-and- sleep

04/29/2012 12:09 AM
gerinaz

I think that anyone with fms has some type of sleep disorder, don't you, Angel?

Geri

04/29/2012 12:13 AM
mem6526

I know that I am a horrible sleeper. People with Fibromyalgia do not get to the stage of sleep that is the REM mode. That is the Restorative stage of sleep. That is the problem and why we don't ever feel rested and wake up tired. It really sucks! Don't you feel this way too? Everyone that I know that has Fibromyalgia has a problem sleeping. I have always been a horrible sleeper my entire life. Even as a little girl I was not a good sleeper.

Geri, Have you ever been a good sleeper? Unsure

04/29/2012 12:16 AM
mem6526

Here is some information about REM sleep and NON-REM sleep.

Stages of Sleep: REM and Non-REM Sleep

When you sleep, your body rests and restores its energy levels. However, sleep is an active state that affects both your physical and mental well-being. A good night's sleep is often the best way to help you cope with stress, solve problems, or recover from illness.

What Happens During Sleep?

Sleep is prompted by natural cycles of activity in the brain and consists of two basic states: rapid eye movement (REM) sleep and non-rapid eye movement (NREM) sleep, which consists of Stages 1 through 4.

During sleep, the body cycles between non-REM and REM sleep. Typically, people begin the sleep cycle with a period of non-REM sleep followed by a very short period of REM sleep. Dreams generally occur in the REM stage of sleep.

PLEASE CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW TO READ THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/excessive-sleepiness- 10/sleep-101

04/29/2012 12:45 AM
gerinaz

Angel. I have always required a lot of sleep. I remember from the time I was a pre-teen that I went to bed fairly early and LOVED sleeping late. My mom always reminded me that it was essential that I got at least 8 hours sleep, preferably 9 or 10. It is my husband that reminds me now, but with the fms, I don't know whether it is going to be a no sleep night or a sleep all night and half the day. I can almost always nap!! There is no doubt that fms affects our rem sleep. Also, I have some physically challenging days caring for my son, and there are days that both the fms and sheer exhaustion set in. As I mentioned I've had 3 sleep studies done and have done my share of research on sleep disorders, but still come up empty handed about how to solve my problem because it can be different from day to day. I REALLY think meds have a lot more to do with sleep disorders than we even realize.

I feel badly for you that your problem is always lack of sleep. I would be a total zombie if I did not get one or two long nights of sleep per week. Geri

04/29/2012 12:50 AM
mem6526

I understand what you are saying but I had sleeping issues long before I was taking any meds at all so that does not apply to me.

It is very common with Fibromyalgia to have sleep issues as you already know.

I don't think I have ever slept 8 or 9 hours straight in my entire life.

I don't even know what that would be like.

Sometimes I think because of lack of sleep that played a huge part in this happening to me with Fibromyalgia. The body can only take so much.

Plus other things too that happened in my life too.

I am tired all the time and the fatigue is overwhelming.

But it is what it is and nobody wants to listen to me complain.

I have been meaning to tell you that I am really sorry about your Son.

You are a wonderful Mom to do what you are doing and it touches my heart.

Kissing

Post edited by: angelonearth, at: 04/29/2012 01:25 AM

04/29/2012 01:14 AM
gerinaz

Thanks, Angel for you comment on my son. You are a very caring person and are definitely the nurturer in the group.

Yeah, I guess there are so many reasons for sleep disorders. All I know is that I never had a problem (except for always needing a lot of sleep) before the fms and pain meds. I know how the pain can disrupt our sleep but I can't get a handle on the sometimes

scary psychological aspects of what meds could be doing to my sleep.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved