MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/14/2012 11:47 AM

Car accident lawsuits and fibromyalgia

Julzy
Julzy  

Has anyone had experience with being involved in a lawsuit agiainst another driver because you were the victim of a car accident that triggered or resulted in fibromyalgia? I know typical soft tissue cases are hard to hold up in court, and fibro is not completely accepted by all medical professions. Im hoping things are changing. My own car accident was a life changing experience for me! It's like I was put in another persons body. I suffer constant, daily pain, fatigue, and depression. I'm not the person I was before the accident. Sad I' have been out of work for seven months and not sure I can go back to the job I invested years and years of higher education just to throw it away. Now I have the stress of the accident, and the stress of the lawsuit. Makes me pretty depressed. Anyone out there have any similiar experience or info? Thanks....Julzy.

:unsure

Post edited by: Julzy, at: 04/14/2012 03:31 PM

04/14/2012 02:17 PM
Adewyn
Adewyn  
Group Leader

I had a car accident in august i got sick in september with bronchitis.. october came i still had that chest pains and a double ear infection and by that decemeber i was in bed and down for the count....i couldnt move or walk.. yeah wooo fun....but i never put the accident in withthe fibro.. ihave had countless accidents (none my fault) i have been illl with things since i was an infant....good luck with your lawsuit.... hope you get omething.. and you can always work your way back to better.... takes time ..just keep moving!

04/14/2012 03:21 PM
Julzy
Julzy  

It's amazing what stress can do to your body! ! Now being involved in a lawsuit brings on its own level of stress!! It isn't fun. Im really sorry you have had so many issues and accidents. Take care of yourself and thanks for the response!

04/14/2012 06:11 PM
FibroCFS
FibroCFS  

I already had Fibro when I had my accident. Slammed in the back. Looking back I should have just let an ambulance take me instead of having to be rushed there by my mom after getting home.

My car accident diagnosis was Whiplash and soft tissue damage and it pretty much was the end of being able to work although I did keep working somehow. I should have stopped then but just kept pushing until a nervous breakdown a few months later, then I stopped.

But, what gave me a $10,000 payout (not enough but I was afraid to push it) were the pictures of my car. I was hit in the rear by a smaller car. She slammed into me so hard that she crumpled the back wheels up and out, shoved the back of the station wagon floor up, back seats forward, and the steering wheel and front seat tilted. 3 of the 4 doors would not open. This was an actual 1984 STEEL station wagon. Her hood was completely crumpled back. She was a pretty young blonde, crying. My nephew felt sorry for her. :Dizzyigh::

Anyway, document everything, pictures of the car if possible. I was called by my lawyer questioning why I moved into her lane. I said I didn't, I moved slowly around a car turning left in front of me, there was only one lane. She was flying down the small shoulder, making a "lane" and obviously my slightly moving to the right got in her path.

04/14/2012 06:34 PM
bc1028
bc1028  

We think my fibro is a result of a bad back for so many years but I can see how a car accident can trigger it. I hope you are able to win your case. I understand your being upset at not being able to do your job that you worked so hard to get. I had to retire from my job as a bank manager and felt like everything I had worked for was gone because of fibro. Hope you feel better soon.

04/14/2012 06:37 PM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

You know, they say Fibro can be triggered by something physical like an accident or an emotional trauma. They also say hashimoto's disease goes along with Fibro. I guess, considering my past, I'm lucky that Fibro hasn't put me down and into a coma! I've had Hashimoto's disease, a C-section, 12 surgeries in my lifetime, a car wreck, survived 2 divorces and a fiance's suicide, loss of my house....

I guess I'm surprised It hasn't killed me yet! lol

04/14/2012 06:50 PM
bc1028
bc1028  

Wow, Moria, you have been through it. It is crazy all the things that our bodies (both physically and mentally) can go through and keep going. Reminds me of the old timez commercials "it can take a lickin and keeps on tickin." The sad part is it does wear us down and our bodies finally wave the white flag although in our case the flag is fibro. People don't understand what we go through but if they could feel our bodies for just one day I think they would feel so much more apathy for us and our situations.

04/14/2012 06:55 PM
mem6526

bc1028,

You are 100% correct! If only people that do not have Fibromyalgia could just for 1 week go thru what we go thru I think that they would have a better and different understanding of the pain that we are in each day.

Also even tho we have been thru so much in life if we were not strong emotionally there is no way that we could endure this kind of pain.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved