MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/13/2012 07:47 AM

"fibro fog"

laylalou123

I've never heard of "fibro fog" until I can to this page. Not til recently have I noticed that I forget EVERYTHING. I went to school with my charger for my computer and NOT my computer. I have forgotten my shoes, homework assignments, if I gave change to my customers, my phone, if I put gas in my car, if I parked my car on the right side, to put my car in park. Today was the most recent and I woke up with a headache and took out a pain pill and set it on the table for me to take. I can't remember if I took it or if I knocked it on the ground so im on my hand and knees trying to figure out if I knocked it down because I don't think I took it.

I hate days like these Sad

04/13/2012 08:51 AM
girlfriend
girlfriend  
VIP Member

Foggy days are always frustrating.... sad thing is I know when I am not 'right' but can't seem to do a darn thing about it.. but the happy news is it will pass!

04/13/2012 06:00 PM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

I forget the meds, if I've taken them or not, all the time. That's why I have the pill box with the days all marked on it. Otherwise I'd never know whether I took anything or not.

Yes, FibroFog is one of our wonderful "perks" to our condition. It isn't permanent like Alzheimers, but it may as well be, for all that we can remember some days! Like the Fibro itself, some days it's better than others. We all live for the "good" days.

04/13/2012 07:39 PM
BHartford
BHartford  

While I have never experienced the same level of fog or forgetfulness that you have, I know the feeling can be so frustrating, and even a little scary. My suggestions to you would be this:

Get a pill separator. Always keep the same number of pills in it, this way you will know if you have taken it or not.

Also, start keeping lists of things that you need to do, and things that you need to take with you when you leave. This will help with the getting caught unprepared.

Also, have you talked to your friends and family about what you have been experiencing? This could help them not to be judgmental. Knowing is half of the battle. Having someone to help you through the bad days can make all of the difference. These are just my thoughts, and a few items that have helped me through the tough days.

04/13/2012 08:30 PM
bc1028
bc1028  

Fog can be frustrating. I notice sometimes when I am in a bad fog I will even use the wrong words or words where they don't belong, it is very frustrating. When I worked it was even worse because I would stumble over easy words and it made me feel so stupid. The best I can come up with is to try and find the humor in some of the crazy stuff we do and try to roll with it.

04/13/2012 08:46 PM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

I've noticed more and more that when I type these posts, or text chat during my game (I'm playing Star Wars: The Old Republic), I'm substituting words because I can't think of how to spell the word I originally intended to use. Like my post on food and eating... I can't remember how to spell "nutrition" and keep trying to spell it "nutrician." I used to be such a good speller. I don't have FF as bad as some people on here. But I do notice it happening more and more often. Like not remembering if I took my medicine, or only intended to take it but haven't managed to get to it yet. That's why pill boxes are so wonderful, as BHartford says.

And yeah... grocery lists? I used to keep it all in my head, now I go after one thing and bring home $100 worth of groceries and forget the one thing I went after! I haven't put my keys in the freezer yet... but I have gone into a room for something, forgot what I was after, and had to leave and retrace my steps to try to remember what it was.

04/13/2012 08:48 PM
mabri
mabri  
VIP Member

laylalou,

I know what you mean about fibro fog...I noticed about 6 months before I was diagnosed that I was forgetting words while talking, and forgetting things within seconds. That was very unlike me, as I've always been pretty sharp, and now I am so not. We actually have a thread called "you may have fibro if" It was made for fun and we have posted some of the silly things we do while fibro fog is raging. I think you will find it both humorous and possibly even familiar. I have put the link here. I hope you get a kick out of it. HUGS

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/fibromyalgia-discussions/ general-support/2757544-you-might-have-fibro-if

04/13/2012 09:28 PM
bc1028
bc1028  

Has anyone ever gotten it bad enough that they cannot even think straight to drive? I have found several times that I just cannot concentrate enough to pay attention to what I am doing. I will make one of my girls (they are old enough) or my husband drive me. It is really irritating to have to give up so much control because I cannot think straight. Moria, I have done the same thing at the store many times. My husbands constant joke is that I brought home more hair conditioner and no shampoo.

04/13/2012 10:16 PM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

There was a post a few weeks back about getting lost while driving, can't remember where the doctor's office was even tho she went all the time, even GPS seemed confusing. So while I've never had a problem driving, some of the others here have, and have posted about it.

and yeah... I've not done conditioner cause neither hubby nor I use it... but I have brought home a ton of body wash when I meant to grab shampoo and vice versa.

04/14/2012 03:26 AM
faieriemama
faieriemama  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I have so many stories of fibro from the last 6 years that I could probably write a book if I could remember them all. I thankfully am not allowed to drive anymore so I no longer get lost, forget where I'm going, or forget what road I'm on. I have however forgot who I called just the other day, they put me on hold( big mistake) when they came back 5 minutes later I forgot who they were. LOL So don't worry or think you're alone it happens to all of us, I'll probably see you over on "you might have fibro if..." I post there frequently. LOL Hugs and Love

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved