MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/25/2008 07:57 PM

Is my dr being a jerk???

suzanner
suzanner  

after my dr tested me for lupus and rhuematoid arthritis, he discovered I had fibromyalgia. I was prescribed Lyrica and that has helped dramatically with the pain, but not completly. I am also so weak and fatigued I can barely stand some days. some days I still suffer agonizing pain. when I explained this to my dr, he pretty much became a jerk about the whole thing and said that since I'm taking the lyrica, I shouldn't be having any symptoms at all and refused to prescribe me anything for the pain. I became quite angry and said that if lyrica should be taking care of all my symptoms then I want further testing done because obviously something is very wrong. he referred me to a rheumatoligist and the earliest appt that I could get into is feb 22nd. I havn't been able to work since the first of nov and I'm not sure how much longer my employers will wait for my return. what should I do????? am I the one being a jerk????

Post edited by: suzanner, at: 01/25/2008 22:01

01/25/2008 08:08 PM
Snoopy30
Snoopy30  

Yes your Dr is being a jerk!. No you are not being a jerk. I have to say I'm shocked as a primary Dr that he did start you on Lyrica that part is great especially if it's helping you. But I guess he forgot to read all the literature on it because I know there is nothing there that says it cures Fibro. It's used to treat fibro. It's good that he has sent you to the rheumy. In the mean time do what you can for the days you don't feel well. try over the counter sntiinflammatories they help for some. soak in a hot tub use a heating pad. I hope the rheumy will be a lot of help for you

01/25/2008 08:22 PM
suzanner
suzanner  

thank you so much!! I have been relying on OTC stimulants/ pain relievers just to get through the day. I have a 9mo girl and i've been struggling just to take care of her. I am not fond of stimulants, but until I see my rheumy it's gonna have to do.

01/25/2008 08:54 PM
Snoopy30
Snoopy30  

I realize you are in a bad spot right now. I read another of your posts that said your hubby is not real supportive. WElcome to the club. Do you have someone that could watch the kids even for a half day to let you get some extra rest. I know it is going to be difficult to wait for your appointment but hang in there as best you can

01/26/2008 04:46 AM
LibraJo

Suzanner,

First off let me say WelcomeSmile

Really not too much you can do until you get to the new doctor. Did you ask the new doctors office to call you if they have a cancellation?

As far as your employer goes, are you on short term disability right now? I don't know how large of a company you work for, but I think short term is 6 months. As long as you have something from your doctor.

What happened with me was the Disability provider sent paperwork to me that my doctor's office had to complete so I would keep getting paid. I'll try & help you with any questions you have there, let me know.

Enjoy your weekend & try and get some rest if you can.

01/26/2008 10:09 AM
truckin_angel
truckin_angel  

Hi Susanner,

I'm not lucky enough to take Lyrica because i dont have insurance but i go take muscle relaxor, Aleve, Ibuprofen and Tramadol. How about asking your doctor for muscle relaxors? Even if its for at night. It helps me and also Melatonin to help you sleep at night. If you just wanna wait to see the rheumy then alternate Aleve and Ibuprofen which helps me alot if its not time for my tramadol yet. I know its hard with a baby, i have 2 teenagers and there are times i cant get out of bed or sometimes even wake up when they are hollaring at me. Hang in there, the rheumy may be able to help you once you get in to see him.

Hugs, Alicia

01/26/2008 10:34 AM
singingangel

Is there another rheumy you can see sooner? If not ask them for a call if there is a cancellation. I would use thermacare heat pads if the pain is mostly in one spot or worse in one spot. Then using over the counter pain meds maybe alternating with exra strength tylenol so you dont mess up your stomach. Good luck to you. Try to rest when you can. Soak in tub when you can. take care. hugs

01/26/2008 10:37 AM
sweetheartsuzee
sweetheartsuzee  

Hey...does anyone know the name of that cough syrup that Pain Doc's give out for Fibro Pain. I was on it for a while before I got on meds....

Maybe that would help until you can get in but I can't remember the name of it!!

Silly

01/26/2008 10:45 AM
singingangel

Robitussin is the name of the cough syrup suzie.

01/26/2008 11:09 AM
sweetheartsuzee
sweetheartsuzee  

No, it's something else...I wanna say 'Mucinex' or something like that...but I don't know if that's it or not. SHOOT...I'll look around and see if I can find it.

Thanks!!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved