MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/04/2012 01:11 AM

Bad News Today

shadowlife

So my mom went to the doctor today to be checked for various issues she has been having, they took a bunch of blood. She got a call late this afternoon to go directly to the emergency room, not even wait until morning, she was told over the phone that she has leukemia. Now in the hospital with a bone marrow biopsy tomorrow. OMG, I feel like someone ripped my heart out. I want to spend every waking minute with her, but, I will have to be going to their house to give my dad his insulin three times a day and help him dress and make sure he eats. My parents are 80 and 83. They have six dogs to take care of, one of which can't eat on his own (he's 17) have to grind his food and mix it with water and put it in his mouth twice a day. This is so much to handle, my dad should not be going anywhere alone, so I will have to drive, which should be interesting, I haven't driven in months due to meds and symptoms of FM/CFS. If it is leukemia, mom will be in the hospital for weeks, bad thing is she is at the military hospital across town, they closed the one near by. Going to have to see about getting dad some at home care to help out, I don't think I can do it alone, I can barely take care of myself. Please keep us in your thoughts as we go through this difficult time, I am so scared, I can't even imagine my life without my mom, she is my only in person friend. Sorry so long and rambling, just needed to get it out, you guys are my only other outlet for emotional support.

04/04/2012 05:18 AM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

Oh no. Praying for all of you!

04/04/2012 05:22 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

oh sweethert I am so sorry,yes get some at home care for your dad..get all the help you can so you dont have so much on your shoulders...my prayers are with you and your family at this trying time,and know we are here for you

04/04/2012 05:22 AM
Moiaddy
Moiaddy  

I am so sorry your family is going through this.....pm me if you need to talk....do you have siblings, friends, other relatives, senior & disabled social workers or hospital social workers that could help you handle all of this?

I will send comforting energy to you all.....

Hugs....

04/04/2012 05:23 AM
Fantod

I am so sorry to read your news about your mother. Ask for a hospital advocate when you are there. Tell them about the situation with your Dad. They should be able to help you get some support for him so you don't have to manage everything. Advocates are a not well known hospital resource. If nothing else, it might lower your stress level to have some extra support.

Try not to overdo it whenever and wherever possible. I lost my Dad in January after a long illness. Because I was constantly running and under tremendous stress I am now dealing with the rebound effect. I know and completely understand that you want to be there for your Mom but you have to put yourself first. If you don't take care of your own situation, you'll be no good to anyone. At least, try to pace yourself. And, if you have siblings, make sure that they step up to the plate and do their part.

I will be thinking of you and your family at this stressful and scary time in your lives. Wishing you peace in the days ahead. Take care and God Bless all of you.

04/04/2012 05:28 AM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

Oh, yeah. Can a nurse come in to help with your dad and mom? My grandma has a nurse come check on her. She was coming much more often but has tapered down but still comes a couple times a week. I second the hospital advocate or a family counseler at the hospital. They usually know all kinds of services that can help.

04/04/2012 08:02 AM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

a Home Health Aide would be a good idea. Depending on insurance, medicare, etc, you guys might not even have to pay for it at all. My grandmaw had one that came for a couple hours every other day to help her bathe, check on her meds, do some light cleaning and such. (Mamaw was a diabetic with early stages of Alzheimers and was really unsteady on her feet.)

I'm so sorry this is happening. I'll keep your family in my thoughts!

04/04/2012 11:45 AM
Adewyn
Adewyn  
Group Leader

Hang in there! hugs and love are always wth you!

04/04/2012 04:34 PM
ushie

oh, I m so sorry. Echoing above--both helpful home care suggestions, prayers/love.

04/04/2012 06:27 PM
maryandjimmie
maryandjimmie  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

If you ask the social worker at the hospital and explain the situation they will not only help you find someon but also find out what the insurance they will take i know they did for me. Im so sorry you and your family are going through this you are all in my prayers.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved