MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/03/2012 02:14 PM

Epidural as a Treatment to Fibromyalgia?

brandib811
brandib811  
VIP Member

My pain management doctor wants me to have an in office epidural as a treatment for my lower back and leg pain. He thinks I may have a pinched nerve instead of fibromyalgia. I can't afford the MRI to confirm so he just wants to try this form of treatment anyways. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this?

04/03/2012 02:21 PM
crochetdiva
crochetdiva  

I had them done by one pain doc and they did work. When he quit because there was nothing further to be done the new pain doc didn't continue them because I have a blood disorder.

Sara

04/04/2012 11:51 AM
brandib811
brandib811  
VIP Member

Does it work though? What will it feel like, I'm really nervous about that.

04/04/2012 12:05 PM
mem6526

How can a Doctor treat something without making a proper diagnosis first?

That makes no sense to me. I would be very hesitant to have that done without knowing what is wrong beforehand. Unsure

04/04/2012 12:08 PM
brandib811
brandib811  
VIP Member

That was my moms concern but it seems to be the only sort of treatment he's willing to offer.

04/04/2012 12:10 PM
mem6526

Why doesn't the Doctor try an anti-inflammatory med before he injects you with an epidural? Just wondering? A pinched nerve or sciatica shows up on an MRI. Do you have Health Insurance? I have Sciatica. It is very painful so I understand. Wassat

04/04/2012 12:27 PM
brandib811
brandib811  
VIP Member

NSAIDS don't react well with me. He wanted to do an MRI I just can't afford it.

04/04/2012 12:30 PM
mem6526

Why don't you try physical therapy? I would try that before I would do the epidural. Did the Doctor suggest that?

04/04/2012 01:01 PM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

I've not had the epidural for pain mgmt. I did have them for giving birth but that's different. I will say that I had 8 facet joint injections, 2 medial branch blocks and 2 RF ablations for my SI joint pain. The only way to dx the issue I had was symptoms and doing an initial injection. Unfortunately it didn't much help me, I think because I was way more complicated than what he was treating. We just didn't know it then. I have heard multiple people getting one and doing well for sciatica type things.

I will say though that they are expensive. I had insurance and was left with owing several thousands of dollars following the treatments. That's another thought if you can't afford the MRI, unless it's covered there but not covering the MRI. I would suggest sitting down and looking at the risks and benefits before deciding anything. With the epidural during childbirth(I know it's somewhat different), I had no long lasting problems. Only soreness for a day or two at the injection site. I've had spinal taps with no lasting issues. None of the injections/ablations in my SI area left me with any long term issues. Another issue is to consider what type of med he's injecting and how long it's projected to last.

04/05/2012 10:59 PM
brandib811
brandib811  
VIP Member

They say it depends on how long it lasts. I had it done today but I don't really feel any difference yet. I still had to take tramadol when I got home. Oddly enough insurance covered this but an MRI costs so much. Ive done physical therapy before and I swear that made things worse. Except for the tens unit that was nice. I guess I'll see what he says at the follow up in two weeks. He still wants me to have the MRI so I suppose I'll have to save up for it somehow.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved