MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/24/2012 09:29 PM

My good deed

MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

Well I'm going to be doing my good deed of the year soon! I saw an article on yahoo news about a group that helps siberian husky rescues by raising funds for them. To do this, they comb their siberians and have it spun into "siberwool" which they then use to knit items, which are sold in a twice a year auction to raise funds for husky rescues. I checked out their website, found a link and sent off an email and asked if they needed spinners or knitters. I got a reply that they have lots of volunteer knitters, but always need more spinners. So she's going to ship me some shed dog fur, and I'm going to spin it into yarn and mail it back to them! I love spinning, it's something I can do even when I can't do much else, and it helps an absolutely beautiful breed of dogs in rescue situations. What could be cooler?

www.sos-srf.org

(Should this be here or in the "what did you do for yourself" thread, since volunteering like this may seem like it's for them, but it's going to make me feel good emotionally since I know it's going to such a good cause!)

03/24/2012 09:34 PM
ushie

Hi, that is a totally neat idea! Maybe this could be a new activity/sticky post! I know that staggering out to help with the kids arts & crafts always makes me feel better...!

03/24/2012 09:46 PM
DanaW
DanaW  

That is awesome Mo

03/24/2012 11:16 PM
Moiaddy
Moiaddy  

How wonderful is that! You are awesome to find some little way of helping out....of making a difference.....while helping yourself feel good...

Your awesome!!

03/25/2012 12:40 AM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

Awww /blush Blush Tongue

03/25/2012 02:41 AM
Bananers

Great job!

It is really refreshing to be able to give back in a fashion that also has the benefit of stress relief/making one happy. For me, I make quilts for Project Linus.

03/25/2012 03:15 AM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

That is so cool Bananers! I once made some blankets for premies at the children's hospital in Little Rock AR. It just makes you feel good to know you're helping those who are helpless. We Fibros can't do much, but we do what we can, when we can!

03/25/2012 05:53 AM
Adewyn
Adewyn  
Group Leader

that is awesome!!!lost art form thats for sure !!!

03/25/2012 06:00 PM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

What a great thing to do, Moira, and you can post both places ~~~ Be happy and proud that you are talented enough to do such a thing as well as how it will help the rescue society. Smile

Spinning is definitely a lost art form but I do have a dear friend in Michigan that ""spins"" and knits and I love to watch her. She does the spinning for her own knitting projects . My grandson has a baby afghan and I have a beautiful sweater that she knitted from her spinning.

Very interesting ~~~

Good luck with your project ~~~ Smile

Marilyn

03/25/2012 06:07 PM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

Years ago, I went to the Ozark Folk Center in Mountain View, Arkansas. It's a heritage site where they have people in 19th century dress, doing old time crafts. Wood carving, spinning, weaving, soap making, gardening, canning, preserving, etc. I thought the spinning looked so cool, I've always wanted to learn but heck in Arkansas and Texas where I most recently lived, it's too warm to want wool anything!

When I moved up here to Wyoming (and going to shops in nearby Fort Collins, CO) there turned out to be lots of spinners in the area. So, a lady at a shop showed me how to use a drop spindle and I fell in love with spinning! I joined the North Colorado Weaver's Guild and rented a spinning wheel from them (can't afford my own yet) and took off from there! I'm pretty much self taught, only been spinning since November, but I'm already pretty good at it, I can make an even thread without thick and thin spots, nice and balanced (not over twisted) etc. To me it's VERY relaxing and I just love it. I recently spun up about a pound of a beautiful brown alpaca, and I'm working on regular wool right now (until I get the dog fur in).

I can quilt as well, I just don't have the room to do it right now. I love doing things with my hands. Since I sit around so much, I don't want to just vegetate, so I knit, crochet, spin, or cross-stitch to have something to do. Helps me feel like I'm still useful for SOMETHING! lol

Post edited by: MoiraWolf, at: 03/25/2012 06:08 PM

Post edited by: MoiraWolf, at: 03/25/2012 06:09 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved