MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/17/2012 04:59 AM

fibromyalgia

dentomo

I am new to this site so can you tell me about fibromyalgia, i have suffered with pain in my joints for about 10 years but have always been treated for osteo arthritis, i have now been to see a rheumatoligist and all my pressure points are very painful, can i ask for my families sake will i end up in a wheelchair.

Post edited by: dentomo, at: 03/17/2012 05:00 AM

03/17/2012 06:12 AM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

Hi there and welcome. FM has so many symptoms that vary from person to person. The ones that are similar from person to person seem to be the fatigue and the pain. Though some only have minor fatigue with other symptoms. No one can predict if you will end up in a wheelchair. Some do, but most don't.

Here's a few links:

http://abarnabas.tripod.com/indexfibrosymptoms.html expanded list of symptoms

http://www.mdjunction.com/fibromyalgia/articles/a- collection-of-fibromyalgia-information

http://www.mdjunction.com/fibromyalgia/articles/ fibromyalgia-the-facts

03/17/2012 02:59 PM
mabri
mabri  
VIP Member

Dentomo,

Welcome to the fibro group! We are so glad that you found us, and believe that we will be able to help you with a lot of your questions. I see that Hatbox has given you links for information, I'm sure you will find a lot of answers. You may want to read over some of the older posts too, as there is also a wealth of info there.

We are a tight knit group made up of men and women from all over the world. We have one thing in common, fibromyalgia. Each of us go through our own pain, fatigue and a long list of other symptoms. That being said, we help, support and love eachother. It is such a blessing to find others that share the pain and agony that we go through, and it actually makes a big difference in your life. We vent, rant, cry, laugh, complain and whatever else here; this is a safe environment to be yourself...no putting on a plastic face so everyone thinks you are ok. We are so glad you are here and hope to get to know you better. Welcome to the fibro family!! HUGS

03/17/2012 05:16 PM
dentomo

Thank you for excepting me because all that i know is what illness i have got, for my families sake can you end up in a wheelchair?

03/17/2012 05:23 PM
tntmom1027
tntmom1027Posts: 537

Most people do not end up in a wheelchair as Fibro doesn't do any physical damage to the body. It is a Neurological disorder that in short makes the brain misfire to produce widespread pain where there is no physical damage in the body. It is nerve pain(which in my opinion can be one of the worst pains). There are some people that end up in wheelchairs because their pain is so high and they are also having other neurological problems in the limbs(such as muscle twitching etc.) and it is common to have other illnesses at the same time which may lead to a wheelchair.

My answer to you would be statistically you are not very likely to end up in a wheelchar but as we don't know the future, no one can say for certain.

The best thing to do in my opinion is to focus on the here and now and try to find a treatment method that works for you(as what works for one person will not work for another). Research and knowledge is your friend as it can be very comforting. And of course this support is great.

On another note, I'm guessing that your rhuematologist has thouroughly evaluated you for all other disorders and disease to rule out anything else that could cause your joints to hurt? Such as autoimmune.

Good luck

03/17/2012 05:28 PM
shadowlife

Everyone is different, I do have to use a scooter to go to the store. But, for the most part I just have to pace myself and know what I am feeling so I don't over do it. Again, everyone is different, I know that it is scary, but, we are here. Do your research and also post here with problems, questions, etc. You will be surprised at how many answers you get that someone else is or has gone through the same thing, it is very comforting. You absolutely must develop a relationship with your rheumatologist, they will be able to give you the best answers for your personal care. All of us have fibro, but, all of our cases are different.

03/17/2012 06:06 PM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

I'm like Shadow. I am not in a wheelchair and walk around the house fine. I drive myself to and from everywhere I go (even if me and hubby go together, I drive). But if I have to do shopping in Walmart or the grocery store, I get those little motor carts (I call it my go-cart! lol) because I can't walk that far without horrendous pain in my back muscles.

As the others have said, each person is different. Since I've seen you ask several times, it's obvious that you (or your family) is really worried about you ending up in a wheelchair. I can't say you will or won't, I don't have a crystal ball. But I can say that it's unlikely that you will. Most of us don't. There are a lot of other conditions that can occur with Fibro tho (the doctors call it co-morbid conditions). Things like lupus, osteoarthritis (I have that one), peripheral neuropathy (numbness in the feet and lower legs, I have that one too). If you have other conditions with the Fibro, your chance of ending up in a wheelchair may change.

The best person to answer your question, is your rheumatologist. He (or she) is the one most familiar with your diagnosis, your Fibro, and any other conditions you might have. But we are here, we understand, and we are one big family. Feel free to rant, rave, talk about your situation, cry, tell us your worries or fears. No one here judges. Often our families just don't "get it." They try but they don't understand. No one who doesn't have this disease can truely understand what we go through day to day. But here, we do. It's a great comfort to have people to talk to who "get it."

03/17/2012 09:06 PM
girlfriend
girlfriend  
VIP Member

Welcome to the forum.... walking for me varies from day to day... I was in wheelchair for few months but am able to walk now... some days just better than others... I try to move around as often as possible to help keep muscles from tightening up... and if you are in wheelchair, so what, you are still you!!

Post edited by: girlfriend, at: 03/17/2012 09:06 PM

03/18/2012 03:10 AM
faieriemama
faieriemama  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Welcome to our group this is a wonderful place to have questions answered, seek advice, vent, cry, laugh and get to know lots of special people who know what you are going through.

03/18/2012 05:16 AM
faerie
faerie  

Hi Dentomo, warm welcome to the group. Sweetie - we are all different but I have had Fibro for many decades and I have never used a wheelchair. Take it one day at a time - and pace yourself. You will find that if you don't pace yourself it will turn round and bite you! Lol Seriously - there will be good days and not so good days and you will learn when you can push yourself and when you can't.

We are all here for you.

Gentle hugs

Faerie

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved