MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/09/2012 05:43 AM

Is this fibro or am I dying?

nzawyn
nzawyn  

Hi All,

I generally lurk in the SLE(lupus) or RA boards, but for the past 3 weeks I have been dealing with a new symptom. I have been tender in the past...skin and muscles...okay, so now Everything hurts,beyond reason. My son touching my arm, the seat belt makes me cringe, clothes, the pressure of sitting, the shower spray hurts....this is ridiculous! My rheumy said this is my fibro rearing it's head and started me on Lyrica samples. I keep looking in the mirror expecting to be bruised all over...that's how it feels...and not just at fibro points...all over...like pulling yoga pants own to go to the bathroom. I know what it feels like to be hit by a car (because I had been hit by a car), but this is is crazy...where are the bruises?? Is this normal...I'm scared it is. Is this for always? I don't want to flinch from touch. Is there anything I can do to alter this course? Any meds...muscle relaxers? I have a Rx for one at night, but I have been taking them a couple of times a day mixed with hydrocodone to find a way of desensitizing myself. Is there a dosage that works well or a better med?

Please anyone with opinions please share! I have been so busy dealing with the lupus issues, this is the first time fibro has had a major role in my life. Thank you in advance for your help and ideas.

Cheers

Awyn

03/09/2012 05:47 AM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

So I'm thinking that you have been dxed with FM. Right? Sounds like you may be having a flare of the FM. This sore skin symptom is a fairly common symptom. It does feel like bruises only there are none there. There's a technical name for it but I can't think of it. Flares last as long as they last. There doesn't seem to be a time frame for them. Keep taking your meds like you should. Try to get some better sleep, even if that means taking the muscle relaxers at night. If you have a high stress level right now, try to lower that the best way you can.

Welcome to the group!

03/09/2012 05:49 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

when I joined the group I had typed in I think Im dying I need help..so your title hit home..to answer you question yes all that is possible with fibro.when people say there hair hurts I would laugh it off till now it does hurt how is that! clothes is one of my biggest issues. I would ask as I assume your doc has ran all the blood test to rule out other things..

I hop you know you are not alone we are here for you through it all

03/09/2012 06:12 AM
Superemt79

hey there,

No worries your not alone the process of me putting on my uniform is horrible. During a flare my boyfriend even has to help me put on my jacket because i'm to sore to reach around. I just found out i had fibro so i don't know much about it. But i hope what ever is ailing you gets better soon Smile

03/09/2012 10:34 PM
faieriemama
faieriemama  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Yeah it's probably fibro and no you're not going to die from it, although we have all felt like we were at one time or another. I get that "I hurt so bad I don't want to wear clothes" feeling frequently myself. That's when I go for the " Forever Lazy" fleece onesie my Dad-in-law got me. It's sooo very loose and comfy almost not like wearing anything. I found a cool website that lists pain symptomsof fibro in a way I can really relate too. It's not terribly scientific but I love the names they give them! LOL http://www.curemywife.com/blog/2012/types-of-fibromyalgia- pain/.I I think that the discomfort of clothing sounds like Painful Paresthesia and how I relieve it is to wear soft loose clothing, take a warm shower, use unscented lotion. I hope you you find some relief whether it's from advice on here or from your doc and start to feel better soon. Hugs and Love.

03/10/2012 05:42 AM
Adewyn
Adewyn  
Group Leader

I am on Lyrica 100mg 3 times a day and muscle relaxers at night.... i know the feeling of the bruises should be there but they arent feeling......hang in there.. alot of us have over lapping diseases... and it is not unusual for some one with ra lupus or ms and a few others disease to have Fibro on top of it all... hugs and love hang in there you arent dying Smile

03/10/2012 06:07 AM
ChemGeek

The first tip off to me that I might have fibro was the overall skin bruising sensation. No, you are not dieing but it can be quite terrifying!

If I do not take my medication and/or get quality sleep, that sensation comes back to varying degrees. I take neurontin (gabapentin) 200mg in the morning, 300mg at night and 100mg at lunch time. That is a low dose, but I am quite sensitive to medication and weigh just under 100 lbs. I also take flexeril at night and as needed to relax muscles and 50mg tramadol as needed for pain. I have lidoderm patches for localized sensitivity.

Hope you find something to alleviate that pain. It does sound like what I experience during a flare. HUGS!

03/10/2012 07:53 AM
Fantod

The problem you are describing is called "Allydonia." It is a "perk" associated with Fibromyalgia (FMS). I have it myself. It can be very painful and extremely annoying. Mine comes and goes. Sometimes my sensitivity is barely noticeable and other days the prospect of wearing clothing is not appealing at all. You are not dying.

You need to talk to the doctor about this issue. I don't recommend tinkering with your medication on your own. Some people have luck with a medication for nerve pain such as Gabapentin. Typically it takes time and a lot of messing about to find the right doseage and medication for each FMS patient. And, once you start something new don't expect instant results. It can take two weeks or longer before you notice any difference in your symptoms.

Have you tried the three primary medications used to treat FMS? Cymbalta, Savella and Lyrica are all used to manage FMS. Only certain classes of prescribed medications are effective. OTC medication such as Tylenol or Aleve are typically not effective for the type of pain associated with FMS.

I'd like to recommmend that you purchase a book called "Fibromyalgia for Dummies." Like all of the dummies series, it contains easy to understand information. It will give you a comprehensive overview of this nasty syndrome and how to manage it. You can find it online at Amazon.

You are definitely not alone with this problem. I hope that my comments are helpful to you. Take care and God Bless.

03/10/2012 11:17 AM
girlfriend
girlfriend  
VIP Member

Our wonderful world of fibro... I have this issue also but I did not know it had a name... thanks fantodSmile

03/10/2012 11:29 AM
FibroCFS
FibroCFS  

You are in a bad flare. As impossible as it may be, somehow you have to get lots of rest. You are probably not sleeping well, not just because of the flare but because many with Fibro have sleep issues that can help push us into flares.

I hope the Rx helps. I have tried them all and they do not help me. They have turned to more of working on my sleep with Gabapentin and Zolpidem (Ambien) and I have Tramadol for the pain which kind of works but not really. If I were in a bad flare the mg. I am on right now would not be doing anything.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved