MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/08/2012 09:38 PM

Anyone's take on pain management?

Superemt79

My doctor gave me a referral to a physical therapist (which is not cheap because my insurance barley covers it) And also gave me a referral to a massage therapist ( I'm gonna just go out on a limb and say my insurance won't like that either. Have any of you all tried these methods and how did they work for you?

I've also heard about acupuncture and swim therapy, as for right now however its been 8 months of non stop pain and i'm just looking for some kind of relief

OH BTW my name is Cristy Silly

03/08/2012 09:42 PM
tigerstripe6
tigerstripe6  

if you can do the massage, do it. it may hurt during and for a day or so after, but it's worth it. i don't know what you're pain is from but aquafit may help to try and get warm water pools, better for muscles. i'm about to try this for my fibro to see if the warm and the water relax my muscles so i can stretch them easier and exercise them too. good luck.

03/08/2012 10:07 PM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

I'm doing both physical therapy and pool therapy right now. PT hurts more to do than pool work, but Pool makes me tireder afterwards. I honestly believe the pool is helping me more but am doing both. But the PT is trying to push too hard too fast. My work out Monday had me in screaming pain Monday night, and for 2 days afterwards.

Whatever you decide to do as far as physical movement goes... be careful with it and don't push too hard too fast, or you'll trigger a flare. I honestly believe the water is helping me more than the PT is. (And god knows the hottub afterwards feels like heaven!) I'm going to have a discussion with my doc next week about PT vs Pool and which is better. At the very least, I have to slow down on the PT.

Oh, and I LOVE my chiropractor. Some think it helps, some don't. But since I also have joint degeneration disease in my hips, getting my back lined up and cracked helps with that a ton.

All of us have different things to help us cope with the pain. What works for one, may or may not work for another. Adewyn does Zumba aerobics. That would put me in the hospital! You have to figure out what works for you.

03/08/2012 10:10 PM
Superemt79

What do they even do in pool therapy?

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved