MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/05/2012 08:52 AM

Interesting Fibro link re: both genders ~~~

Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Since we have members in this group of both sexes, this article caught my eye on the AOL Welcome screen this morning ~~~ Read on, please ~~~

http://www.everydayhealth.com/fibromyalgia/101/the-role-of- gender.aspx?xid=aol_eh-fibro_2_20110227_&aolcat=AJA& icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl16%7Csec1_lnk3% 26pLid%3D140075

Marilyn

Post edited by: Auntie3285, at: 03/05/2012 08:53 AM

03/05/2012 09:43 AM
girlfriend
girlfriend  
VIP Member

Interesting read..... betcha the men go when they get to feeling like we do....such as not being able to walk or talk or HURT all the time! I think the men aren't getting a fair shake in the matter...

03/05/2012 09:43 AM
livewithhope
livewithhope  

Thank you for providing the links. I read the article, plus they listed several other interesting articles about fibromyalgia...all were very informative.

Thank you!! Liz

03/06/2012 11:00 PM
faieriemama
faieriemama  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Very interesting article Auntie Marilyn, it makes sense that men wouldn't report the symptoms as readily as women, they tend to keep the fibro kind of symptoms to themselves, you know "if I'm not bleeding I'm fine". I have read of the testosterone link to fewer migraines in other articles. Thanks for sharing this article it was really interesting.

Post edited by: faieriemama, at: 03/06/2012 11:00 PM

03/07/2012 02:27 AM
Montag
Montag  

thanks for sharing Auntie, very interesting !

03/07/2012 04:16 AM
mem1318

Thanks, I should have wrote that article. Before I read it I said they can not count the % of men with this due to most don't go to the dr. Those that do probably think if its their low back and pain going down legs it is because of bending and picking up on their jobs. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. lol

03/07/2012 04:39 PM
oroman
oroman  

Thanks for this very good article. I will print it for my husband and also share it at work.

Olga

03/07/2012 07:06 PM
mabri
mabri  
VIP Member

Marilyn,

Thanks for sharing this article with us. I do have an issue with one of the things it said however:

Research suggests that women, in general, have lower thresholds to pain than men, which may relate to these endorphin and hormonal differences.

Does any of you other women have a problem with this statement? Every man I know (especially the ones that think they are soooo tough) cannot stand even a little pain. They cry the blues and have to go to bed with a hangnail! Maybe it's just me, but how many men do you know that could even live through the pain of childbirth? No offense to the men here, I'm not saying you don't hurt as bad as we do, cuz I believe you do..However, the mainstream man cannot handle pain very well as far as I'm concerned.

Anybody agree or feel differently? What about it, men? Tell it brothers!!

HUGS

03/07/2012 07:43 PM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

I saw that and laughed. It's generally known that women have a higher threshold of pain (childbirth always being the quoted reason for the statement) but men seem to have a higher "I'm tough, so I can take it" attitude.

03/11/2012 06:21 PM
Beached
Beached  

At the CFS group I belonged to, we often discussed the fact that women had to weather a storm of hormonal changes every single month, while men stayed on an even keel in that department. In a few couples I knew who got ill at the same time, the men had worse symptoms at the start, then they began improving while their wives went steadily downhill. That broke up several marriages.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved