MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/22/2012 01:06 PM

Coconut Oil for Seizures

girlfriend
girlfriend  
VIP Member

I have been researching what can be used for these wonderful seizures I have instead of the presciption meds... I have seen that cocnut oil is supposed to be good at stopping them. Has anyone tried this or know anything about it?

These seizures are so unpredictable it's frstrating and they just wipe you out... the meds make me sleepy .... I know I am whining but looking for anything to make things better....

02/22/2012 01:11 PM
FibroCFS
FibroCFS  

Please don't think that coconut oil can do anything for seizures. I use coconut oil because it may reduce cholesterol and use it instead of butter or margarine on my popcorn. Outside of it being a more healthy alternative diet wise and works nicely for massage I would not put much faith in it.

I am sorry about the medications making you so tired. I understand that completely because I cannot take a lot of medications for Fibromyalgia.

02/22/2012 01:23 PM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

I have seen studies of coconut oil used for Parkinson's patients and it has seemed to help. My great aunt used it for my great uncle and it did improve his symptoms for a bit. I have not seen any evidence for seizures, but of course I haven't looked either since I don't have an issue with that.

I would say don't stop taking your meds, and I would ask a pharmacist to make sure none of your meds have a food interaction(some do), but if that's clear, I would probably give it a shot myself. I don't know that it would work. However, if it doesn't work then you just have some tasty popcorn.

02/22/2012 01:33 PM
girlfriend
girlfriend  
VIP Member

Oh hatbox how i would love to indulge in a truckload of popcorn! believe it or not the microwave popcorn triggers an er visit seizure..... i am going to give the oil a shot... heck it can't do any harm surely.... seems there is a lot of research on it and it has a lot of health benefits.... i was surprised the more i read about it.... i'm still looking for that magic carpertSmile maybe it will do something good to my continually thinning straw hair alsoSmile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved