MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/15/2012 05:28 AM

MEMORY PROBLEMS

rainee
rainee  

My 1st post.....My memory problem is beginning to now effect my daily living....before it was a hit & miss. Pretty much any and/or every sentence I use now...I forgot one part of it.....a name..word,place,number,item..you name...I forget it. I'm embarrassed by it ... and I've now begin to acquire a social phobia. I don't want to engage in conversation..because I know I'm going to forgot quit-a-bit of my thought or even a couple words.

I know through having had somes test that I have an oxygen problem....I'm trying out a CPAP machine right now...but without fail...when I wake up the mask is never on my face...and I dont know at what point in the night it came off.

Help...I'm Losing My Mind

Sad

01/15/2012 05:35 AM
Adewyn
Adewyn  
Group Leader

no you arent... welcome to the....sighs.....you know what i mean lol....Fibro group and family LOL

We all do this.. nothing to be ashamed aout... lol i work with great people lol they make me laugh.. they either finish my sentances for me or start prentend signing lol (which means what the hell are you saying LOL) Don let forgetting keep you from talking.. i call it a brain fart... or excuse me i have no idea what i am saying do you and laugh lol... it is a fibro thing... it has its waves.. one minute souding normally intellegent and next your brain checked out for a bit.. it was tired lol...

Hang in there... you ARE the new normal... and those cpap machine i have yet to meet a person can sleep all the way thru the night with it on.. you are not alone.. wecome to the group I am Adewyn .. your cheerleader/ group leader/Dubbed Richard Simmons of the group/ and also fondly called Superwoman Smile Let us know if we can help in anyway... vent away we have all had something here.. if not all of it... you are no longer alone.. welcome to the Twilight Zone.. No no thats wrong... Welcome to the fibro nuts... nope thats not right either... the cuckoo house? no no..ohohoh Welcome to the Fibro Family Smile Hugs and love

01/15/2012 07:37 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

nah your mind is where you left it..and you are not crazy though if we were it might make this better cause we wouldnt care..

first thing is are you on any meds that have this as a side effect? having brain fog is normal for us because your mind is spending all its time trying to figure out what is wrong and sending the soldiers to fix it,there are some tricks to help you one thing get your slf a timer for the kitchen..a timer is priceless for cooking or reminding you of other things that need to be done like when your dryer will be done..

as for the embarressment of it..your going to have to laugh at yourself and others who get the look like are you done with that thought..

now a huge rule of thumb..it is normal to forget where you parked your car it is fibro that makes us forget what color but something else if you cant remeber how to drive..

it is normal to call the wrong kids name it is fibro that makes us forget there name it is not normal to forget they are yours

01/15/2012 09:24 AM
Megawrite
Megawrite  

Hi Rainee!I too have those moments even during the middle of a sentence where I forget what I'm talking about. I know it's frustrating, but it makes me even more excited when I do get through a sentence, or finish a day with most of my tasks completed.

You aren't losing your mind, it's just more difficult to find sometimes. I liken fibro fog to me standing in the middle of a foggy dark field, and I can sometimes make out the lights, but other times I have no idea what they are or where to find them. This has helped me explain it to my family better. It always helps when people are understanding.

01/15/2012 09:32 AM
FibroCFS
FibroCFS  

Welcome rainee,

When I came to this Forum is when I discovered, everything I was trying to tell doctors, friends and family that was happening to me was be stated by others. I was normal...from a Fibromyalgia standpoint.

Yes, I and I dare say all of us have this problem.

01/15/2012 10:07 AM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

Welcome to the group. I think the memory thing is the most frustrating thing to be honest. I'm sorry that it's beginning to affect your social life though. I tend to plow right on through. Have you spoken to your dr about the CPAP mask coming off? I'm not sure, but surely there is something they can use to keep it in place. I'm sure this is a fairly common problem. Low oxygen can affect memory as well. It affects the hippocampus (area that deals with memory) particularly badly, so that could be the cause of the increase if forgetfulness.

01/15/2012 10:51 AM
girlfriend
girlfriend  
VIP Member

Welcome! Memory problems here also.. I forget what I was saying or the words just won't come out no matter what I am trying to say..embarrassed me also, but I have gotten used to it now and just laugh it off...Lord, I don't drive very often anymore but the last time I drove I went right passed my own house.. 2 blocks later I realized I missed the drivewaySmileHang in there!

01/17/2012 02:56 AM
faieriemama
faieriemama  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I can start a sentence and forget half the words and the point of the sentence and never finish it. I go to the kitchen for a cup of coffee and forget the cup, go back to get it, get the coffee and leave the cup in the kitchen. Ohh my favorite(not) is when I call someone and forget who I called Blush . There's a whole page of funny and yes embarrassing things we've all done because we forgot. Don't worry about it you can come here anytime and we will listen and share with you. Hugs and Love

01/17/2012 07:56 AM
ouchee
ouchee  

Now................what were we talking about???? Tongue

01/17/2012 08:09 AM
Sylvia4648
Sylvia4648  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi all, I've been in and out of this group for ages. My time has been spent as a leader in depression. Recently I had an idea and suggested to Roy that we start a group for the baby boomers. As we are reaching retirement age (tho I've been retired on disability for years)things are changing. The Boomers are a whole new institition unto ourselves. Some days I work really hard to get over the fact that I am a senior citizen and when asked (forms, etc.) I put middle age. But that's a losing battle. So I thought I'd see how others feel. You can get there by clicking on this link:

http://www.mdjunction.com/baby-boomers-retirement

Come check it out.

Happy new year to all!

Sylvia

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved