MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/20/2008 11:51 AM

Xanax vs Valium

amfoster
amfoster  

I know that xanax is supposed to be a tranquilizer but my doc says it also has muscle relaxer qualities. One night when I had a bad flare up, the doc at the ER gave me an injection of valium to relax my muscles. It was like heaven. What do you guys think? Can anyone compare the two?

01/20/2008 11:58 AM
Fletch2ya
Fletch2ya  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I never have had Valium... my brother in law takes it and swears by it.... please let me know what you all think....I was thinking of talking to my doctor about it...

Craig

01/20/2008 12:53 PM
sweetheartsuzee
sweetheartsuzee  

I can...because I've been on both...even at the same time!

Here's what I was told....

Valium: For my anxiety/panic attacks. To help stop them from 'hitting' so hard and keep my calm all of the time. It works long and slow.

Xanax: To SLAP the panic attack as soon as it hits and HARD! But, doesn't last long and relax?? YES...cuz it hits you like ton of bricks to put a big wall up to keep the panic from happening...so not only does it calm you down, but if you're not having an 'attack'...it'll relax you and sometimes, knock your butt out!!!

This is just how the doc explained it to me! So, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! Wink

Oh and for those of you who don't/haven't taken it....if you can help it...DON'T START. Xanax is one of the number one meds that's most addictive and hard to kick. Valium as well...just not soo hard! But it's hard...believe you me!!! W00t

01/20/2008 02:05 PM
kychick
kychick  

Suzee is right. Valium has to be the number one muscle relaxer out there.But highly addictive,not many doctors will prescribe it for the long haul. I have the Xanax and use it for panics and anxiety,but I am very careful how I take it,and due to my seperation,I have used it more now than ever but my doc said it was okay. It also has extreme addiction tendencies. If you have a tendency to become even slightly addicted to things,don't start these meds. Its not worth it,because at first it will do great,and then like everything else it will take more and more to get the same effects.I am taking meds in severe moderation,and that way when its really bad, then they really work.I have also had to use the xanax more because I am slowly weaning of fentanyl patches and sometimes there are withdrawal side effects.

01/24/2008 09:53 AM
mamanordy

I have and take both, for the same reasons as what sweetheartsuzee said. But do be careful in taking them, they are highly addictive and do not operate a vehicle.

05/08/2010 04:38 PM
drunkitty

Valium does nothing for me. My Dr said the same thing "it's the best muscle relaxer out there" and tried to put me on it. It did nothing for me. Xanax as others said knocks anxiety our panic right out for me, but it works to the level I need it to work. If I'm a little stressed or anxious it knocks the stress away (great for situations where I know I'm going to be really stressed/uncomfortable - ie. public speaking). But if I'm REALLY stressed and/or having an anxiety attack it will knock me out.

I tried it for my Fibro nerve pain for the first time today, just on a whim as I realized the way my nerves felt was much like what I felt like when I was having anxiety disorder issues and it helped quite a bit. I'll be talking to my dr about this when I see her this week.

05/08/2010 08:12 PM
LockMan
LockManPosts: 828

05/09/2010 09:34 AM
Lynnette1212
Lynnette1212  

Valium works like a charm. Calms my nerves, my pain, and helps me rest.

05/09/2010 11:50 AM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I took Xanax for several years for anxiety and then for sleep I wasn't getting a deep enough sleep but sleep aides were all crap for me my dr then switched me to Klonopin because it has a longer life span than any of the Benzos and it kept me asleep longer. It worked better, it also like most had the muscle relaxant property but I don't notice that much I have terrible spasms and have been through many muscle relaxers that didn't work. I now take a combo before bed of 1 mg Klonopin and 4 mg Zanaflex (tizanadine) and I sleep great and more comfortable as well. I have now been on the Klonopin for several years and I have been on the same dose for all those years combined I have never needed an increase it has been as effective as the day I started. Benzos can be addicting if not taken properly and if you have an addictive personality. You can become dependent on them just like any other med used regularly. Good luck!

05/09/2010 01:43 PM
karenmsmith77
karenmsmith77  

I have only tried valium. I take it occasionally for panic attacks. It does wonders for me, but I know I tend to act a little loopey on it. I start laughing at everything.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved