MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/06/2012 11:03 PM

The Nerve of Some Doctors

Bananers

So, I started seeing a psychiatrist and a psychologist a couple of weeks ago because the stress of the new diagnosis and career implications became too much for me to deal with myself...they say I'm depressed...well, duh!

At any rate, the psychologist is great! The psychiatrist on the other hand...well, let's just say that if I would have not gotten in trouble, I would have punched him in the face at my appointment today.

He asked me again why I was taking the different medications that I am taking. So, I calmly explained to him that they were for my fibro. (Yes, we have already had this conversation....) He had the gall to say "Oh, that's right...the so-called fibromyalgia...." and then he continued on from there to say why he doesn't think that there is any such thing as fibromyalgia.

Why can't people keep there opinions to themselves? He really offended me today; not only implying that I am a lunatic, but also implying that my PCM, neuro, and rheumie are a bunch of idiots.

Sigh. Angry

01/06/2012 11:29 PM
ushie

He's the idiot. Can you dump him? Can your PCM have you removed from the idiot's care?

01/06/2012 11:44 PM
Bananers

I'm not sure that the base clinic has any other psychiatrists. I was too angry to look into it this afternoon. Fortunately, I don't see him routinely or talk to him about anything really. My psychologist is really the one that I get into the nitty-gritty of things with.

01/07/2012 02:40 AM
faieriemama
faieriemama  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

May be you should let your PCM know what the psychiatrists opinion of him is, and may be he will be willing to let you change to a different one. He can't be helping you any if he doesn't believe that your primary diagnosis is a valid one. I'm glad the psychologist is working out so well for you at least you have two medical professionals who know how to do their jobs. Hopefully your PCM will be willing to help you find another psychiatrist. Hugs

01/07/2012 04:18 AM
Adewyn
Adewyn  
Group Leader

*keeping opinion to herself have nothing nice to say*

01/07/2012 08:33 AM
sadchick
sadchick  

Bananers....that is really bad - even for a psychiatrist! I've had my share of problems w/them. Have had a few the past several years due to bipolar,etc. A lot are kinda harsh, know-it-all, not very personable. That's just the way they are. It can take awhile to find a good one. But, this one sounds mean!!

it is awesome that you are getting along w/your psychologist! They are much easier to deal w/in my opinion. And it usually takes time to find a good one, too. So that is wonderful!

I would get rid of the psychiatrist. It will just make you more frustrated to stay - even if you don't see him much. Does he prescribe your meds? If not, you should have no need for him?

all just my opinions from personal experiences

01/07/2012 08:54 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

I wonder if you could have gotton away with hitting the doc after all you are there to deal with issues,lol.

get rid of that doc if you can. so sad how can someone help you deal with the issues you have if they dont believe in them

01/07/2012 06:41 PM
Renee10
Renee10  

That is some nerve! Way to be professional.

01/07/2012 07:01 PM
nembery
nembery  

how ridiculous. unfortunately i've had quite a few bad psychiatrists. my old therapist gave me a great suggestion for dealing with my last crappy one. she told me to just treat like he's my drug dealer. get in, get your stuff, and get out. if he asks anything too personal or that i don't wanna deal with him with just say "i'm talking to my therapist about that". and maybe if he makes another comment like the "so-called" fibromyalgia it wouldn't hurt to get a little bitchy. just be like look...i've had (blank) many doctors all tell me i have it so can we please deal with my psychiatric medication and leave the editorial on my other medical conditions out of it? sorry you got a butthead.

01/08/2012 12:50 PM
FibroCFS
FibroCFS  

Leave him.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved