MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/06/2012 08:27 PM

Question Question

mem1318

Has anyone had a TB test and it was positive. Meaning the germ not the virus? Mind came back positive in 08 had to take pills for 9mo's. I don't know if I got around a patient or if I came in contact in the store or what. But I have been sick every since. Chest x-ray and everything is clear. Just never will be able to take the injection again so I was told. Fam that messed me up for two months. I cried till I made myself sick. Dr's, Dr wife and more DR's and all kept telling me that I was OK and that I did not have the virus. But just the thought of the word TB is a scary thing. All I could think about were my grands & family that was around me on a daily base. Not to mention the very day I got test results the very same day I got laid off. I've gone down hill every since. Gee Whiz.

Now my nose is running life a faucet. I'm cold. Whats next?

01/06/2012 09:06 PM
mabri
mabri  
VIP Member

Reality,

I really don't know much or anything for that matter about TB. I do know that my mom's hubbie had a test that came back positive. He was not contagious or anything, but I'm really not sure what it means.

I know this is a big stresser for you, and also being laid off from your job is so hard..I know, that's what happened to me. I'm sorry you are going through all of this. Make your dr sit down with you and explain all of this to you. It is their responsiblity to make you understand. Hope you get some answers. HUGS

01/07/2012 04:05 AM
Adewyn
Adewyn  
Group Leader

I agree with Mabri..... make your doctor sit you down and make you understand this....!!!

01/07/2012 09:02 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

my mother in law shows positive every time for the tb test then she has to go and have a chest x ray and prove all is fine.but I agree have your doc exsplain everything to you till you understand that is why they are docs

01/07/2012 09:36 AM
mem1318

I think every DR in the office and my work (Medical Society) told me over and over that I did not have the virus. Still did not stop the tears. So I heard them but it comes across my small foggy brain every once in a while. So I kinda understand but, in REALITY I can not get pass it I think back every time I feel drained like now. I do know that a test from the injection will always come back positive. So that is why I was told to never get the injection again. X-rays did come back negative and no sign of TB. I was just wondering, because I have read on some site of Fibro and the word TB has been somewhere in the wording. Therefore I was just try to figure out if any one else had this to happen to them and could this have possible caused the start of Fibro and all this other mess to bring my system down.

01/08/2012 01:17 AM
oroman
oroman  

The T.B. test or whats called the Mantoux test is a skin test which you have done on your left arm and go back to have it read in three days. Then if its positive, an xray is done to have your lungs checked because this is one place it shows as an indicator of T.B.

The meds you were given to take for 9 months are to kill the germ in your system from doing harm to you physically. This med is to be taken without alcohol for the entire time you are on this treatment and at night after supper because if you are having side effects from the med. you are sleeping and you do not become aware of "stomach upset, etc.."

And the reason you do not have the Mantoux test done again is because the results after this test will always be positive. It does not mean that you need the meds for treatment all over again, since you have completed the regimen of I.N.H. and the Vitamin B12. Now that the meds are completed, this should help to protect you in the future if you were to have contact with someone who perhaps only has the germ in their system, but not the actual T.B.

Years later as we get older we can get Diabetes, High blood pressure, etc..., our bodies are just not able to take on physically and if you truly had T.B. this would created a greater risk on your health.

Perhaps you were not born in the U.S. Its a good thing you had this treatment so as to protect you in the future. THE only side effects from these regimen of treatment, is that it can affect your liver, kidneys. Did you have any lab test after the treatment? Well, now your question of Fibromyalgia - I can't tell if this could have caused it. But have your family doctor go over this important question with you.

Please take care. Olga

01/08/2012 06:52 PM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

From what I understand, a positive reaction to the TB test only means you have been exposed to the germ and have the germ. The medicine you took was to prevent it from becoming TB disease. TB disease(the contagious active TCool is very specific in it's symptoms. A minority of people who test positive on the PPD test actually develop the active TB disease. So please don't stress. I know it's a scary word. My grandma had TB disease way back when they still had to go to sanitoriums for it. So needless to say, it was quite tramatic for the kids. However, even though she had the active version of it, and the kids were tested for years afterward, not one of the eight ever got TB disease.

As for FM and TB, I suppose that your body's reaction to a physical stress, such as fighting the TB germ, could have kick started the FM. Whether there's a clear link......I can't find anything on that. Top that with loosing your job stress, and you've got a bad stress combo there.

01/08/2012 11:27 PM
faieriemama
faieriemama  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I worked with a RN who had a positive TB test and had to get chest xrays every time she had to have the test done. The docs told her she didn't have TB and wasn't going to get it. That sucks to get laid off and get a positive result on the same day... talk about a bad day that one takes the cake! I'm sorry honey. It could have been the stress of both of those things, or the virus unfortunately no one knows. I wouldn't stress over it though you don't need the stress. Hugs and Love.

01/09/2012 06:13 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

I understand having something anything abnormal going on freaks us out and makes us go hmmm...but there is so much to stress over this I dont think is one..though I would encourage you if your still concerned talk to our doc,he might be able to run further test(im not sure).to ease your mind..

01/09/2012 07:49 AM
mem1318

Thanks everyone. I know my brain is running in overdrive. I just tire of being sick. I think one day I'm doing good and going on with life. Then the truck come by and hit me again. And old me trying to figure out what the cause could be. Heck I should know if the DR's can not figure it how, how can I. I just want to run that by you guys to see if anyone else had a positive test and then other things started to happen.

I was born in the US and never been out. But I worked in the medical field most of my work history so who know where I picked it up at. Also I know it is air borne so I could have picked it up in the store or anywhere. Thanks again for your help. You'll know my little brain is short and I can go out in left field sometimes. lol

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved