MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/04/2012 07:11 AM

swollen painful veins

bobsrandi

I am a 44 yr. old single mother of 2. I have recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Needless to say, I was not happy with this diagnosis. My main issue is that I have yet to see my main symptom addressed in any fibromyalgia information I have read.

The pain started aproximately 6 months ago with soreness in my joints, knees, ankles, wrists, and elbows. I assumed it was some sort of arthritis combined with overwork. The pain soon got unbearable which is why I started seeing my Dr. About a month after the initial pain started, my veins started bulging on my right hand and causing extreme shooting pain. This soon spread into my fingers and up my wrist. Any sort of movement would bring it on and sometimes when I was completely still it would happen. I was also plagued with an ache in my muscles that was constant.

I went to my Dr. again and she ran more tests. My tests all came back negative. However, the symptoms kept spreading. At this point, the veins in both hands, both feet, ankles, wrists, lower legs, and behind my knees all swell and cause severe pain. The pain has now made it as far up as my thighs and upper arms. I can not do even the most basic household chores without my veins swelling and causing pain.

I have seen an orthopedic doctor and a rheumatologist neither of which could find anything.

The doctors have me on 1800 mg. neurontin, 25 mg. amitriptyline, 1000 mg. naproxen, 150 mg. tramadol, and 10 mg. cyclobenzaprine. Although these medications have dulled the achy feeling in my muscles, they don't seem to help the shooting pains in my veins.

Is there anyone out there that has experienced this? I am slowly losing my mind from the constant pain. I am terrified that these doctors are missing something.

01/04/2012 07:31 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

I am not fimilar with fibro having swollen veins as a symptom hopefully someone can come on and guide you better. I wanted to welcome you to the group though

01/04/2012 07:34 AM
bobsrandi

Thank you sooooo much. It's nice to feel like someone is listening.Smile

01/04/2012 08:04 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

I just wish I had more info to give..Im concerned the docs are missing something...

01/04/2012 08:26 AM
bobsrandi

I am concerned as well. My children are 5 and 9. It is getting nearly impossible to take care of them the way that I want to and they are used to. Now I find that the rheumatologist counts as a second opinion so my insurance will not pay for another opinion and I have to wait a month before I can see a different Dr. a month may seem like a short time to some, but to me it's an eternity.

01/04/2012 08:29 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

a month is for ever when you are in pain taking one day at a time is enternity..I have found with fibro it enhances other problems such as for me nerve damage..due your veins stay raised?

01/04/2012 08:37 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

okay I just looked on line and you are not alone in the swollen painful veins

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Undiagnosed-Symptoms/Temporary- Bulging-Veins-w--Pain/show/510834. is one conversation I looked at..I am not Very good with digging up info maybe reading can help you..sorry.. I typed in painful swollen veins..

01/04/2012 08:37 AM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

Have you considered seeing a cardiologist? My aunt has extremely painful and swollen veins and is on disability for it. I can't recall the name right off the top of my head. I think that a cardio is the next logical step though.

01/04/2012 08:50 AM
bobsrandi

my veins do not stay swollen. If i sit still and do nothing 8 times out of 10 they will stay down.

01/04/2012 08:54 AM
bobsrandi

Hatbox 121,

Would it be possible for you to ask your aunt what her condition is? Maybe if I had something specific to tell my doctor to look for it could get us headed in the right direction. Any help I can get is greatly appreciated

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved