MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/23/2009 04:39 AM

Sooo

Mispati3
Mispati3  

Are we just looking at controlling pain here or does anything reduce the spasms and unbalanced gait? We can take all kinds of drugs for pain but I haven't heard anyone who has found anything to improve their mobility and that is a big issue for me. Am I doomed to needing to use a walker for the rest of my life?

01/23/2009 05:35 AM
bc1028
bc1028  

mispati- I was thinking that this morning only with sleeping.

01/23/2009 05:44 AM
sonnekus
sonnekus  

Mispati3 Now you scare me, does FMS really get so bad that you need a walker? I was only diagnosed 3 months ago. I cannot walk very far or stand very long then my feet hurts but I honestly do not want to walk arround with a walker. I supose I do not fully understand FMS yet.

01/23/2009 06:57 AM
Mispati3
Mispati3  

Sonnekus, don't freak out yet, Hon! As I understand it, this FM affects different people in different ways. I happen to have spasms and weakness in my legs that affect my gait. Toe dragging and shakiness. I don't really have a walker (yet) but I'd like one just so I don't fall. And I know I'm going to one day. But you may never get these spasms. I pray you don't!

01/23/2009 08:38 AM
Janilee

Sonnekus. I use a cane but very rarely and only when my legs hurt.

I don't have the spasms or weakness in my legs. Mine is due to venous insufficiency and arthritis in my feet. My feet swell up due to this and that's when I use the cane. Im with Mispati. Don't freak out. My fibro isn't like everyone elses. I dont get the raging flares that some of the others get, I do get flares but they only last a few days and don't affect all of my body. I might have a flare in my shoulder. Then it goes away and will pop up in my leg. I don't even need pain pills for my fibro.

Check with your Dr to see if he can x-ray your feet to see if you have arthritis in them. I can't walk for more than 90 ft without getting run down or hurting but I found that goes away if I take short breaks and let them rest up. Moderation and pacing is the best advice I can give you for fibro.

Hugs

Jan

01/23/2009 01:58 PM
Iknowpain
Iknowpain  

Mispati, I take Soma for muscle spasms and it does help. I take meclizine for dizziness and it helps me walk in a straight line. I still use a walker, cane or even a wheelchair at times but not as much as I used too.

Sonnekus, I agree with what has been said here. Don't panic. We are all different so don't borrow trouble. I have a very severe case so don't think that just because some of us need these thing that you will too.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved