MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/18/2008 07:19 PM

OK WHAT IS A NERVE CONDUCTION TEST

savedbygrace
savedbygrace  

CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT A NERVE CONDUCTION TEST IS.

JUST READ THE THREAD ON IT. NOTHING WAS EXPLAINED ON WHAT IT ENTAILS.

TRISH

01/19/2008 12:09 AM
kychick
kychick  

It is one of the most painful test I ever had done. It involves needles and electric type probes to test nerve endings and there responses.I couldn't watch I just closed my eyes,gritted my teeth and got through it. There are also more non-invasive nerve conduction tests out there,but they're not as accurate.

01/19/2008 06:42 AM
singingangel

They put the probes on your arms , etc. You usually have a reaction after the test.

01/19/2008 06:46 AM
TeainTN
TeainTN  

why did you have to have this test done? what is it for, it sounds awful!!I have never heard of it either.

01/19/2008 07:01 AM
singingangel

It shows if you have a nerve problem. For me it showed I had 4 pinched nerves.

01/19/2008 08:17 AM
froggy
foggy  

Hi Guys hope everyones having at least a fair day.

I had this test done 2 years ago and believe me it is kind of painful. They send electric current into different spots on your body, and I guess they take note of your bodys response. If you have ever gotten shocked by electricity; thats what it feels like, but maybe double the pain.

froggyCool

01/19/2008 07:04 PM
Snoopy30
Snoopy30  

I had it done when they were evaluating my carpal tunnel. I won't do it again

01/19/2008 07:46 PM
Fletch2ya
Fletch2ya  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

HI... I have had it done a couple of times.... they stick little pins in you and run elec. through you to see how your nerves work..... FOR me it was very painful....... it just made things worse..... irratated everything.... and they really could tell nothing... I also had carpal tunnel both hands and they did this also...found the problem and fixed it.... but with the problems I am having with fibro...... tingling and numbness....it found nothing... except more pain for me....

Craig

01/20/2008 08:19 PM
coffeebean
coffeebean  

I too had this donw 'twice' on both ankles/feet when I had my tarsal tunnel surgery. It was not fun but I could live thru it again if I had too. Maybe some body parts hurt worse than others. It stung and was not fun but I would say for me it was bearable. Course I was in such pain from my compressed nerve in my ankle I did not care what they did.

01/20/2008 08:52 PM
kesslmama
faieriemama  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I had this test done just recently and what they do is put electrodes on you or needles in you and run electricity between them. Usually they are checking to see if your nerves are conducting information correctly. Mine was done because of black out seizures, it caused a flare up of my fibro Sad . Some people find this test extremely painfull others not so much.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved