MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/29/2011 03:23 PM

Tightness in chest

lilcee
lilcee  

I keep getting a tight feeling in my chest. I went to the Dr and he sent me to a cardiologist. I had a stress test, EKG, echo, xrays - everything is fine with my heart. But it keeps feeling like I have an elephant sitting on my chest. Also, sometimes I feel a little fluttering in my throat.

Anyone have this problem?

I have another Dr appointment on Monday. What tests should I discuss with him? I'm thinking an xray of my chest maybe to rule out lungs?

I'd like to get this elephant off me - oh and my ribs hurt too. UGH!!

Oh, and I have Gerd, could that make it feel that way?

Thanks for letting me vent.

11/29/2011 03:37 PM
PrincessButterfly

lilcee,

Read this Link below...Let me know what you think....Hang in there. Kissing

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sprainsstrains/a/ costochondritis.htm

11/29/2011 03:51 PM
lilcee
lilcee  

That does sound like it. It hurts a lot when I'm using my arms to do things (driving, cooking etc) and it's in that area.

11/29/2011 03:57 PM
Iam1ShadyLady
Iam1ShadyLady  
I'm an Advocate

Have you had a sleep test? Sleep apnea can make you short of breath. Also have they done the table tilting test on your heart? It's where they put you on a table and tilt you to see if your BP goes up or down when they tilt you up or down. They don't usually do it so you have to ask.

11/29/2011 05:55 PM
ushie

Or it could be another manifestation of Fibro. I get it every so often after I've done too much. First time thought it was a heart attack. Basically, you have nerves all over your body, and Fibro hashes out nerves, so...if it is, you'll probably learn to live with it, like I have. Sigh.

11/29/2011 05:55 PM
PrincessButterfly

lilcee,

Talk to your Doctor about how you are feeling. Write down the symptoms as they are happening and then you can bring that list to your Doctor.

Sometimes it is hard to explain how we are feeling when we do not have the symptoms and pain. Let me know if this is helpful to you.

Hang in there.

Kissing

11/29/2011 06:06 PM
mem9984

It could be a part of fibro but I'm not sure. I don't know anything about GERD so I'm not sure about that. I do know that I had your problem and the chest tightness was not fibro.

They did a lung fuction test and my lung function was at 50% when they did the test so now I'm on an inhaler. If you haven't had a test done to check your lung function done I would ask about it.

Good luck and I hope you feel better.

Post edited by: js2696, at: 11/29/2011 06:07 PM

11/29/2011 06:21 PM
hedap

Ilcee,

I've had chest pain also, but not with ribs hurting. I've heard all sorts of explanations, from gerd to gallbladder to mitral valve issues (which usually doesn't cause pain)---scary to not know and feel you're having serious symptoms. I would definitely persue a diagnosis until you're satisfied.

Good luck.

Heather

11/29/2011 07:02 PM
Iam1ShadyLady
Iam1ShadyLady  
I'm an Advocate

I have what feels like a tight band around my rib cage around to my back. It is very uncomfortable and sometimes hurts. My mom has it too. Sometimes it radiates down into my left side. My mom's does it on her right side. We were both told it was fibro but you really need to see a doctor to make sure. Keep us posted.

11/30/2011 12:12 AM
rah1981
rah1981  

I've also had the chest pain and sometimes it goes around to my back. My problem is anxiety. I know anxiety is another thing that comes with fibro....but your problem may be something different I don't know. (Sorry) Sad -Robin-

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved