MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/18/2009 07:26 PM

Unsteady balance, weakness of legs

blainecindy
blainecindy  

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about three years ago, but I know I have had it much longer than that. And it seems like as time as gone by, a new symptom has come up and little by little, I have acquired every fibromyalgia symptom listed in the book. I am sure many of you have had this same thing occur to you. Anyway, my newest symptom is feeling unsteady on my feet, as though my legs are weak and are about to buckle on me. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing or has experienced this problem. I have even had to start using a cane. So anyone else have this happen?

01/18/2009 07:32 PM
Janilee

Hi blainecindy, WElcome to our fibro family. I don't think I've talked to you before and if I have, I apologize for my fibro fog.

I have that problem too with my legs. Sometime when I'm walking

i feel like I'm going to fall forward cause it seems like my legs are moving slower than the rest of me. I found my problem though.

I have a veinous insufficiency in my rt leg caused by varicose veins.

Maybe you should consult your Rheumy and make them aware of this problem.

01/18/2009 07:36 PM
Casty
0hCasty  
VIP Member

I don't know if this is anything or if I'm just a clutz but all of a sudden I have started tripping on my pants. The big toe of one foot gets caught on the opposite pant leg. Is that weird? I have scared my hubby several times in the last few days.

01/18/2009 07:37 PM
KayDesigner

Hi blainecindy...I don't think we've ever spoken, so let me first say, HI and welcome.

You are describing what I go through every single day. I am very unsteady on my feet. My legs seem to want to go in a different direction than my body. When I stand up (even if I'm just sittin for 5-10 minutes) or when I get up in morning, I usually 1) have to stand there because it seems like one of my legs (usually left) won't move at all. It just won't move - I can't lift it, nothing. Finally I can get to where I can drag it a little and it will start moving after awhile. 2) The other leg that IS moving, I walk tippy toe on because it won't stretch out.

My legs also feel extremely weak and absolutely do have a tendency to buckle. I have actually went to walk and the top part of my body goes forward, but my legs don't go at all.

So I can definitely relate. The only time I seem to get any relief from this is immediately after a long hot shower. But the relief usually only lasts for about 15 minutes or so.

I am so very, very sorry you are dealing with this. Have you told your doctor about this?

Hugs,

Kay

01/18/2009 07:37 PM
Casty
0hCasty  
VIP Member

Oops, sorry, there is a bit of fog here too blainecindy. Welcome to the family, you will love it here. Smile

01/18/2009 07:43 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

Hi Cindy & welcome. I haven't had problems like that but I do the exact same thing as Casty...I've always been a klutz but I've had some very scary near misses lately. I get really stiff when I've been sitting and walking first thing in the morning is like walking on knives, but no leg weakness. I did have a problem years ago when I had a pinched nerve that caused a numb spot in my ankle...when I'd try to climb the stairs it wouldn't lift properly and I'd end up falling forward. That went away after one of those electrode tests where they run electricity though your nerves.

01/19/2009 07:04 AM
BLB
BLB  

I was wondering if anyone has been checked out for MS because of this?? because I am finding that my balance is really bad and I am falling and also my limbs are going numb and I had a grandmother that had MS...I am going to be checked out for this but I was just wondering if anyone had been??

01/19/2009 07:26 AM
Barbkubacki

When my daughter was 21 she came home one night and said that she thought she was having a stroke. It was fathers day and we really did not believe she was having a stroke but she kept after us and finally my husband took her to the hospital and they admitted her and for a couple of day we really didn't know anything. Until they did a

MRI of her had a found a lesion. When the did a spinal it confirmed she did have MS. She has one lesion on the brain and two on the spine the last time we checked. We took out of Concord NH where we live and brought her to a hospital in Boston. The 2 lesion they actually found. She suppose to take a shot once a week and is not doing that but what you wrote sound like what she was saying to us.

01/19/2009 08:41 AM
Janilee

I have a friend who was DX'd with MS the same time I was dx'd with fibro. She got really dizzy and her left leg went numb. The ER gave her Meclizine for the dizziness and referred her to a Neurologist. She took one meclizine and had her daughter take her back to the hospital where they admitted her. Now she's saying that the Meclizine gave her MS and wants to sue the drug company and her ex-husband for putting her thru so much stress that she got MS. Anyway they did the MRI and found 6 lesions on her brain. She is to take the shot once a week too. I've always been a klutz due to my feet and my joints. I laid wrong in the womb and had to wear braces when I was a baby. I've had more than one Dr tell me that I have very loose joints.

01/19/2009 09:23 AM
BLB
BLB  

I really doubt that she got MS from the med...you don't get MS from stuff but it maybe more likely genetic...

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved