MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/23/2011 09:34 AM

Great Start into Winter Here...

MommaManda
MommaManda  

Got our first snow of the season here (Eastern Ontatio, Canda)... So pretty but I think it is going to kill me.

It's been colder here the last week or so.. and bam right into one killer flare. Everything hurts.. I think my nails hurt.. and my fingers hurt even typing. I think it is a combination of getting a horrible flu.. just starting feeling better at the end of the weekend... and this weather. I love the christmas season... but this year I seem like the grinch. I can barely do the things that need to be done.

The worst part is the horrible shooting pains going from my hips all the way down my legs. I get leg cramps often but this comes right from the hips. My hips are rarely sore... everywhere else but not very many times have I felt pain there.. and never like this. I have been to see my GP 3 times in the last 6 weeks..and I really don't want to go back. They refuse to give me any narcotics because I will become an addict... so they wont be any help...

Any sugestions?!?!?!? Been taking advil, tylonal, all my regular meds and surviving with my heatmassage mat.. Sorry for long ramble...

11/23/2011 10:31 AM
maryandjimmie
maryandjimmie  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

MommaManda,

I am so sorry you are in so much pain that is also how I been feeling usually the pain is in my legs and knees and now its all up into my hips. I have been using a heating pad and heating throw I know for some soaking in the bathtub also helps them. I cant do to medical reasons but I know alot of people do that also. I also use heat rub that seems to help and when I go to bed at night I keep my legs elevated and put a pillow between my legs I have osteo artheritas in my knees so the pain is terrible and I cant stand them to touch. I hope this helps.

Hugs Mary

11/23/2011 04:47 PM
Iam1ShadyLady
Iam1ShadyLady  
I'm an Advocate

You really will need to find a doctor that will prescribe pain meds when you get to where you can't take it anymore. You can have them prescribed on an as needed basis that way you won't be dependent on them. It makes me really mad when they use the word addiction for people in chronic pain. Yes there are abusers out there but most of the time they are not in pain anymore, they are just wanting to get high.

Being dependent on them just means that you have to have them to function. You take them exactly as you are supposed to when you are supposed to and your body will become dependent. But if you only take them as needed and it's not everyday you don't even become dependent.

I am thinking about you and I hope that you will find a good doctor who will help you find some relief. Don't waste your time on bad doctors. Oh and another thing, people become dependent on antidepressants and sleep meds all the time and they don't seem to make a big deal about that.

Happy Thanksgiving,

SHELLWink

11/23/2011 05:17 PM
PrincessButterfly

Shell,

I totally agree with you.

You worded that great! Thanks! Smile

11/23/2011 05:58 PM
mabri
mabri  
VIP Member

I 2nd that! You need a dr that understands chronic pain, and doesnt' send you home with a bandaid for a cut artery. Shell is exactly right about addiction and dependancy. I hope you get to feeling better. HUGS (softly)

11/23/2011 06:21 PM
ushie

ShadyLady, I agree--MommaManda, I don't know how difficult it is on Canadian single-payer--can ou switch docs?

Can you get pain pads to put on your hips? I forget the name; they're a topical pain med that isn't addicting or even very interesting, but they can help.

11/23/2011 06:47 PM
Iam1ShadyLady
Iam1ShadyLady  
I'm an Advocate

I don't know if they have them there or not but a lot of people here use Salonpas. They are an over the counter pain patch. It's sort of like the sport creams and the Thermal patches but usually much cheaper. Biofreeze is another good one. It comes in a roll on and a tube. I used it a lot when I was truck driving. I didn't even think about them when I was in management but I wish I had.

Good Luck,

SHELL

11/23/2011 06:58 PM
Wintersnow1

Have you talked to your doctor about prescribing you a small amount of narcotic pain medication. I had the same doctor for years so he knew me and would give them to me as needed. Then we moved and I had to find a new doctor. I had my records sent to him and when I had my first visit we were discussing my medications. When I told him percocet I could almost see his little antenna go up. LOL Then I told him that I usually only get 15 at a time and they usually last 6 months. He said that he had no problem prescribing that amount for the rest of my life! What a relief.

I think doctors are just scared to prescribe large amount but if you tell them why you need them and in a small amount I think most of them would go for it. For me, I just take them when I need a break.

Hope this helps.

Hugs.

11/23/2011 07:18 PM
Iam1ShadyLady
Iam1ShadyLady  
I'm an Advocate

They also work better when you don't take them all the time. Once they are in your system for a while your body builds up a tolerance so it's harder to tell that they are working unless you stop them. The key though is to not let your pain get out of control before you take them or they don't work as well.

Hugz,

SHELL

11/24/2011 12:08 AM
faerie
faerie  

Hi Sweetheart. Warm welcome to the group.

I agree with the others - always check with your doctor. But I just wanted to pass on 1 tip. I find that if I take Magnesium it really helps to decrease some of the cramps.

Look forward to getting to know you.

Gentle hugs.

Faerie

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved