MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/12/2011 02:41 PM

New to here not to Fibro lol Advice needed?

lisamden

Hi everyone my names Lisa, im 35, the mother of three and a wife to my soo supportive husband Sean. I've just been diagnosed with fm this year although i've suffered the pain and symptoms for 17 years now. Its been a long hard battle getting here and along the way i've felt so many different emotions, as you will all know yourselves. The thing with me at the minute is that even though i'm on 1600mg of gabapentin per day and tramadol 100mg twice daily and maxitram sr 100 twice daily, i don't seem to be getting any relief from the tramadol. I was on oxycontin two years ago for a year, but i got the dr to take me off them as im far too young to be going down that road. Anyway any advice would be appreciated, many thanks x

11/12/2011 02:51 PM
lilachynstiff

Lisa -

Welcome. Just wanted to say a quick high as the board is usually quite quiet on the weekends.

Dealing with the pain of this can be emotionally harder than the actual pain itself. The best thing I have found is heat. I have a heated mattress pad, a heated throw for the couch, heated seats in my truck, etc. The other thing is my pain increases as the week goes on, I am sure this is due to the lack of sufficient sleep, so getting as much sleep as possible does seem to make things better.

One question I have for you is regarding Maxitram. Isn't this another name for Tramidol? Was just surprised to see you on both.

Julie

11/12/2011 03:01 PM
lisamden

Hi Julie nice of you to reply so quickly yeah the maxitram is a slow release version of the tramadol so your not far wrong. Also i find the heat helps as well, i have electric blankets upstairs and down.

11/12/2011 04:26 PM
girlfriend
girlfriend  
VIP Member

Welcome! Have you tried muscle relaxer and anti inflamatory with the tramadol? That combo works well for me most of the time.. along with the heat.. I like the stick on heat pads for mobility..

11/12/2011 07:37 PM
sparklehorse

Yes, heat Smile

Not everyone seems to respond to tramadol, and as you know, you are at the max. Gabapentin can go higher if you are finding it provides any relief at the current dose.

I'm trying an anti-epileptic medication. That's the same general category as gabapentin or Lyrica.

There is also the antidepressant class, like Cymbalta.

I imagine more will post with their ideas.

I am finding that with fibro, one has to be endlessly crafty and resourceful. Living with pain for 17 years, you know that. Maybe you diagnosis comes as a relief after this time. I don't know.

11/13/2011 05:17 AM
fibromom23
fibromom23  

Welcome to the group! I am a 38 mom of 3 married to a wonderful husband, so I can relate Smile I also was diagnosed this year (Jan) I have found heat to be a wonderful necessity in my life! I also began epsom salt baths which are very comforting since they have scented epsom Smile I began on gabapentin, but I didn't like the side effects, so I am now on Tramadol, but I also take a muscle relaxer and that combo for me seems to work, I do take valium at night for various reasons, and I also have tylenol 3 and norco for breakthrough pain...its all about what combo works for you...I hope some of this helps, hugs to you Smile

11/13/2011 08:28 AM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

Hey there and welcome! I can't help with the med question because I have yet to find any medication that helps me. Tramadol was useless to me, kinda like swallowing a tic tac or one tylenol. Just wanted to add my HI!!! in here.

11/13/2011 11:03 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

hello

I would suggest asking your doctor about gabatril its in the same family as lyrica and gabapentain( neurotine) you are also so close to maxing out on the gabapenten 1800mg is the max..

the meds that are out there are more for sedating the pain but never stopping it,it seems..

hot baths heating pads pain patches over the counter for localized pain, things of that nature also help..

last year several of us tried suboxone it was the only thing I have ever taaken in 12 yrs that took away the pain, but sadly it had to many effects I couldnt take it..some were able and are doing great on it..the problem with this med is that its use is originally to get people off of narcotics, they found it had pain relief benifits but it is a heavey hitter..and alot of docs wont perscribe it for pain use..

sadly we are all not alike when it comes to meds and we all react diffrent.. for me gabirtil has been the only med that has helped not fixed but I also take several other meds on top of all that..with fibro it is almost like peeling an onion you have to work on issues as they come up.for instance sleep problems causing sever fatuige and pain memory loss, then depression causing fatuige pain memory loss,fibro causing pain fatuige memory loss, such a pattern but each needing to be delt with then off course the problems the meds offer, stomach issues,memory issues, other pain issues..a good doctor is key..good luck and welcome to the group

11/13/2011 07:05 PM
faieriemama
faieriemama  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

hello and welcome lisamden, you have already recieved some great advice from some of our wonderful people, and I'm sure you'll meet more of them. I don't take a lot of meds right now, just started working with a new doc and can't take narcotics. I currently take Amitryptilene to help me sleep at night and for restless leg and pain at night, Topamax for severe migraines and seizure control plus a couple others for overlapping illnesses. My PCP and neurologist have talked with me and I will be starting Gabapentin for pain. Right now I use heating pads and a rice filled sock that I heat in the microwave, peppermint lotion for my sore feet, and a fleece blanket to keep my legs warm. I hope you find a good doc and the right mix of meds that give you some relief, and look forward to getting to know you better.

11/15/2011 12:44 PM
lisamden

thanks for all your feedback its been very kind of you taking the time out to reply thanks alot and i'll discuss some of these ideas with my dr. xx

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved