MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/27/2011 06:35 PM

Can't afford Cymbalta anymore

kentuckymom
kentuckymom  

I have been taking Cymbalta for about a year it helps me and no side affects. I have insurance (Barely) and it does not pay for it anymore. Does anyone know of a generic drug that is similar to Cymbalta?? I believe its a ssri??

10/27/2011 07:34 PM
ushie

Do you have a dr or therapist who could write you a generic for this? Or have you contacted the makers of Cymbalta and asked their opinion/help? Some Rxs can be subsidized in part by the makers, if you ask.

10/27/2011 07:43 PM
mabri
mabri  
VIP Member

Kentuckymom,

If you do not have any script coverage you can go to

www.needymeds.org

Go to brand name drugs and then to Cymbalta. There is a program there that will send you meds for free if your income is under a certain amount and again if you have not script coverage. You may want to check it out.

I was on Cymbalta and now am on Celexa as a substitute. I really can't tell if it's helping me or not, Cymbalta was about the same. Hope this helps...HUGS

10/27/2011 08:06 PM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

You can also go to http://www.lillytruassist.com/Pages/index.aspx which is Lily's website and they have a tool to help you find a program that will help. There is also a 30 free trial voucher and a support program on the main site. http://www.cymbalta.com/Pages/index.aspx

10/28/2011 06:49 AM
Fantod

You can not stop Cymbalta suddenly. You have to be weaned off of it. Two other options for treating the type of pain assoicated with Fibromyalgia are Lyrica or Savella. I would encourage you to follow the suggestions others have made to get assistance to stay on it. You could also call your local United Way and hospital and see if they have any additional suggestions for assistance. Good luck and take care.

10/28/2011 07:14 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

as the ladie above have given you great advice I would also talk to your doc, they have free samples and my friend was able to get help through her docs office..and like what has been said please dont run out and go cold turkey it can be dangerous

10/28/2011 07:24 AM
stoneslove

I had been on Celexa for years and then switched to Cymbalta to see if that would make a difference in my pain. Cymbalta is newer so there wasn't a generic and it was not on my insurance companies drug list so I had to pay more for it. I tried it for 8 months and did not notice a difference so I went back to Celexa.

10/28/2011 09:45 AM
katiebear

There won't be a generic Cymbalta until next year. I agree with hatbox about going to Eli Lilly's website to try to get help from them. I lost my job back in June, but luckily had insurance until August. I had just started to go through the process of getting help from Eli Lilly when I got called back to my job.

There are also suplimental prescription insurances out there that are a heck of a lot cheaper than Cymbalta.

I hope you find the information you need, or a drug that works just as well for you.

Katie

10/28/2011 04:21 PM
kentuckymom
kentuckymom  

Thank you for all the great advise! You all are so smart!

10/29/2011 07:01 AM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

Oh and as someone said Celexa is a pretty good substitute for most and you can get it on the WalMart $4 list.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved