MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/11/2009 12:04 PM

pinky & ring finger asleep & won't wake up...

julieleaps

I woke early this morning with both hands numb. Fell back to sleep til about 11 or so. It's been 3 hours and my left ring finger and pinky are both still sleeping, feeling numb. It's radiating into the back of my hand as well.

Any ideas? Unsure

01/11/2009 12:12 PM
amommy02
amommy02  

There is a nerve that runs down the back of your elbow that goes to those two fingers (fog is obscuring the name right now.) If that nerve becomes inflamed it causes the same symptoms as carpal tunnel.

My doctor said that I was most likely irritating mine by resting my elbows on the table or desk. Not really serious, just an annoyance.

01/11/2009 12:19 PM
julieleaps

ulnar nerve. My neuro first thought I was experiencing ulnar nerve damage when it turned out to be spinal cord compression, leading to surgery on my neck. I wondered if this was ulnar or carpal tunnel. Hmm. I have an appt with rheumy on Friday of this week. Have to see what he thinks, I guess. DH wants me to go to GP as I am trying to get over a terrible cold and I'm still coughing something awful after 10 days worth of antibiotics. Ugh. Always something.

Thx, mommy, for the quick reply!

01/11/2009 12:32 PM
KayDesigner

I have carpal tunnel and I experience that same thing from time to time. If it continues though, you need to get it checked out.

Good luck,

Kay

01/12/2009 02:27 AM
Mispati3
Mispati3  

That was my first symptom ~ pain and numbness in my pinky and ring finger. At first, I thought is was Cubital Tunnel Symdrome but of course, now the pain is everywhere.

01/13/2009 05:14 AM
amommy02
amommy02  

Just to clear up what I said before cause I don't think it came out quite right. Carpal tunnel effects the thumb side of your hands including the pointer and middle finger. The other thing I can't remember the name for, effects the pinky side including the ring finger. I have/had both at the same time. That was quite an experience. They are both under control right now, but do flare up from time to time. Hope it gets better soon for you. I know how annoying it can be.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved