MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/14/2008 05:32 PM

Did anyone see the CBS news/social security ?

coffeebean
coffeebean  

Did anyone else catch the 630pm CBS world news? They have a 2 part special on about social security and the problems people have with being denied, the backlog of cases, etc. The 2nd half is on tomorrow night (Tuesday). You should try to catch it if you can. Now what everyone should do after this was brought to everyone's attention nationwide is write to your congressman and officials. Try to be sure to catch the other half tomorrow night. It was not positive information for those of us waiting on our cases but interesting none the less.Shocked

01/14/2008 05:44 PM
wifeandmom
wifeandmom  

I saw it and it totally caught my attention. I will be watching the second half of it tomorrow. Being I'm in the process of filing it's something that I'm gonna pay attention to closely.

01/14/2008 05:48 PM
coffeebean
coffeebean  

I am glad you got to catch it. I too will be watching the 2nd half since I am in the review process now of my claim and it has taken me since 4/06 to get this far.

01/14/2008 05:54 PM
wifeandmom
wifeandmom  

I am just starting out the process. I have the dr. appointment they set up for me on Wed.

01/14/2008 06:00 PM
coffeebean
coffeebean  

What state do you live in? I know MD is severly backed up. Good luck in your process and I hope it goes smoothly and fast for you. It has been a long drawn out process for me with no income and living this way since 2/06.

01/14/2008 06:03 PM
wifeandmom
wifeandmom  

I live in Oklahoma.

I know all about the lack of income thing. Heck I just got a notice on our door for rent that is owed. Heck we are just trying to get through each day and that's just not enough. I'm beginning to run out of steam and there just doesn't seem to be any resources out there.

01/14/2008 06:12 PM
fibroforever
fibroforever  
VIP Member

I caught that on the news too. I'm interested to hear part 2. And it confirmed all the horror stories I've been hearing. It's so sad!

I'm in that last stage, waiting for a hearing w/ALJ. I'm so scared for my future, and for my family's future. I know that I should rightfully get it. I am disabled; doctors and I don't feel that I'll ever be able to work again. I also have enough work credits to get it. But although I know this- it's out of my hands.

Oh, and in Iowa- I guess there's approx. 4,800 cases waiting for a hearing. We only have a couple of judges.

I feel bad for the people working at, and for SSD. I think they probably have a lot of stress on them. They just need more help.

I'm hoping for the best for all of us!

Amy

01/14/2008 06:14 PM
Beccaboo
Beccaboo  

I talked with a social security lawyer today. She can't really help until I've been denied one time, but she did tell me it is very, very important to file on-line. She said that can save up to 8 months in the entire process. She said there was a huge backlog, and the online filings go to the front of the group. So I'll probably file online tomorrow.

01/14/2008 06:26 PM
coffeebean
coffeebean  

Beccaboo - I filed online in 4/06. Maybe it did go to the front of the group but I do hate to see those farther back.

Wifeandmom - Are there any sources that can help you? I don't know what your total income is but there are some sources that can help you (a little). It surely does not help very well though considering the amount of bills nowadays, rent/housing costs, doctor and prescription bills...etc. Thank God I have my boyfriend who is paying for a lot of things but I do still have some of my own bills that I feel so guilty about if he pays. Heck I feel badly enough that he pays the house bills. I worked for all of my life and was self supportive and it makes you feel terrible.

Fibroforever - I think you and are at the same level on our ss cases....I am waiting for a hearing with ALJ also although they are trying to do a review 'without' a hearing.

01/14/2008 07:15 PM
Beccaboo
Beccaboo  

Coffeebean, wow, that's a long time! My lawyer told me to expect at least 18 months. Where do you live?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved