MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/22/2011 12:17 PM

Working with Fibromyalgia!(page 2)

Adewyn
Adewyn  
Group Leader

really have to give time to some of these meds to get in the system unfortunately.. but once you have the right combination and it is in the system everything becomes a little easier and you end up doing a little more each day....Until the meds are in your system you will be extra tired... and having a 3 yr old doesnt help Smile (God bless them Smile ) have you tryed Lyrica or cymbalta? lyrica took 3 months to get in the system but in the first 2 weeks i was friggin exhausted... but after that each day seemed a little better... I really wasnt able to walk right for a year and half after being on lyrica and flexril (is what helps me sleep and relax the muscles)... take each day and just do what you can and remember tomorrow is another day Smile... hugs and love

09/22/2011 12:19 PM
lilachynstiff

Saved -

Its amazing how many of us had an event prior to an initial flare. I think of it has the bodies ability to cope tipping point. Like somehow things got remapped overnight, I don't know.

Are you seeking out a Rhematologist? They really are the 'fibro experts' (expect the few who 'don't believe in it'). They also can confirm it isn't similiar ailments that respond/require different treatments.

Even though my job is stressful, I do have the ability to close a door on bad days (usually). I would think cashiering would be tough if not impossible with this illness. So maybe you need to consider other options that are less taxing on the body.

I think most if not all of us have had moments of misery when we ask ourselves whats the point if this is what it is going to be. There's where hope has to come in. I think for me, work helps as it gives me something to feel good about. If I couldn't work, I would be doing something (maybe volunteering) to keep something thats 'all mine'. And the low dose Cymbalta I am on helps fend off light depression. That's not to say I don't have bad mood days, they just don't overwhelm me. You might ask your Dr about Cymbalta. If that isn't optimal there are other options but as I started out saying, a rheumy or pain management dr is most aware of this disorder. Some people do see a primary, I think it just depends on the dr and the patients happiness with their knowledge and care.

Julie

09/22/2011 01:47 PM
Lupie
Lupie  

Hi there -

Firstly, I am very sorry to hear of your diagnosis.

I have had fibro for 5 years and lupus for almost 14. I work full time though I need pain pills to make it through my day. I have a pretty high-stress job but I try to keep my calm as much as I can. At my old place of work, I worked from home 2 days a week which really worked out great. Do you have a job where you could do something like that? It helped me tremendously. I don't have that luxury at this job and I tell you I am beat by the time I get home and spend most of my weekends sleeping to catch up enough rest for the following week. So I guess the question is, what is the priority for you?

Hope this helps.

09/22/2011 06:05 PM
lilkaotik
lilkaotik  

I also have a 4 yr old to run after but there are days that are so hard im lucky if i can walk. I would definatly find a dr that understands and can find the right combination of meds and maybe youll be able to do a bit more. U may have to cut some hours like i did

I only work mostly 2 day streches then i get a break. Let me kno if iv helped at all

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved