MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/15/2011 12:43 PM

horrible neck/ shoulder/ arm pain-4 days so far...

I'm newly diagnosed and feel lucky it only took 7 months and 6 doctors to get here. From what I've read many of you suffered for years before you got your diagnosis. I started our with a neck injury and severe torticollis from lifting weights. After 5 months I wasn't getting any better and my whole body started to ache. I went from Dr. To Dr. And PT and finally got some relief from trigger point injections to my upper back and neck. (12 shots over the course of 3 treatments) the aching and fatigue never went away, but life was tolerable. Then started the pain in my lower back and down my hip/buttocks. It felt like someone was shocking my sciatic nerve. That lasted about 3weeks and then I was o.k. for about a week and now I'm back to the unbelievable pain in my neck/ shoulders/ arms. My question is do flares tend to hit the same areas? My trying Savella and a muscle relaxant with little reliefSad and I'm hoping things calm down sooner than later. How long does your average flare last? Thanks for your help.Smile

09/15/2011 01:35 PM
Kvasconez

I'm an Advocate

A big, warm welcome 1331. I was one of the lucky ones, plus I count myself fortunate that I didnt come down with this until I was 50. I would never have been able to accomplish the things I did if I had this issue to contend with. You will hear from many warm, wonderful people who will be happy to provide information and advice when you ask, an ear to listen and a shoulder to cry on if needed.

To answer your questions, when a flare hits me, it usually is all over pain, but can concentrate also, I have had problems especially with my lower back, tailbone and buttocks, even moving into the entire pelvic girdle and can cause me not to be able to walk...early on, like you, it was the neck, shoulders, arms and hands. Have you had an MRI? When I had mine on my neck to rule out other things, they found I also had cervical spinal stenosis. Now my pain doc is having a new MRI on my lower back because of the tailbone, buttocks lower back pain. But back problems where the spinal column is affected seems to go hand in hand with fibromyalgia. My flares can last weeks or months.

Savella, Cymbalta and Lyrica did nothing to help me and I found Wellbutrin, which comes in generic and is much cheaper had the same impact helping my fatigue, so I just switched from Savella to Bupoprine. I had to go on harder meda for pain, unfortunately.

Welcome...I want to point you to my favorite site for questions on fibromyalgia... Http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/ fibromyalgia_treatment.html

Also, here are a couple of good posts to get you going here so you can see we get it and even laugh at it.

"You Might Have Fibro If.." http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/fibromyalgia-discussions/ general-support/2757544-you-might-have-fibro-if

"What Brought on Your Fibro...". http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/fibromyalgia-discussions/ general-support/3043918-what-brought-on-your-fibro/ limitstart/30

"What is the Worst Thing You Have Had to Deal With With Fibro". http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/fibromyalgia-discussions/ general-support/3047632-new-weekly-post. Sunny started it.

Hope you enjoy your time with us! I look forward to getting to know you!

Post edited by: Kvasconez, at: 09/15/2011 06:06 PM

Post edited by: Kvasconez, at: 09/15/2011 06:07 PM

09/15/2011 05:53 PM
sunnydays
sunnydays  

Hello and welcome! Sometimes my flares last a few days,sometimes a few weeks. I dont have extreme flares though,everyday for me is generally poor,occasionaly some days are just a bit worse then others if that makes sense. Im sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis,but glad you found us. Kim gave you somr great links to start with,and I hope you find suport and understanding here!

09/16/2011 06:19 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

I can tell you I to suffer from neck/arm/shoulder/down to finger pains feels like my collar bone is broke.when I went to the doc they were conviced I had a ruptured disc but couldnt find it,and yet kept trying to cause they were sure it was there.I saw three diffrent docs who are stumped..I have sciatica from a back injury and nerve damage in my leg.. my opinion is fibro seems to make worse what you already have going on

09/16/2011 08:41 AM

Thank you Kim for the great links. I have had an MRI of my upper back and neck. Other than a slight curvature and what they called typical arthritis all was good. I went to an arm doc who diagnosed me with cubital tunnel and suggested double arm surgery. I said I wanted to wait and see how it went. Glad I did, I've only gotten the numbness and nerve pain when I've had a neck should pain flare, so I think its just related to fibro.

Life is tough right now, I'm 32, married with two boys (7 & 2) and I work full time as an operations manager at a bank and it can be stressful at times. My youngest boy has a very rare malformation of his cerebellum so this fibo pain was the last thing I needed. Despite everything I'm a very positive person and am thankful to have found this group to vent and poke for information. Thanks and I hope everyone has a great Friday!

09/16/2011 01:32 PM
mindfulmel
mindfulmel  

Hi 1331...nice to meet you...look forward to getting to know you...welcome to the group. =)

09/21/2011 08:25 PM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

As to your question re: length of flares, I hate to tell you this but it is very random. Some last for a day or two and others years. I suppose I'm at my new normal, since it changes to an increase in pain after each one, for about a month now. But that flare was several months long. Before that I had about a two week break after one that lasted for almost a full year. But I've had shorter ones before where I'd be in one for only a couple of days. You'll find that it's a very individual and varying illness even within yourself. There truly is no average.

09/22/2011 09:16 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

I also would say that just based on what I have seen it depends on your over all health the more problems the more fibro effects them..

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved