MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/04/2011 10:03 AM

Not everything is FM

hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

Just wanted to put on here for those who are new to the whole FM game that while the list of FM symptoms covers everything that could possibly happen to a person, just because it's on the list doesn't mean that it should be brushed off as FM. If you have a new or worrying symptom you should see your doctor about it. If the dr says it's FM and you don't think it is, keep pushing.

If I hadn't pushed and kept going when all the drs would pull from the kitchen sink list and say oh it's FM, then I wouldn't have gotten to the actual cause of what's really going on and neither would my children.

FM does cover so many things but like I said if you have a new or weird symptom please discuss it with your dr.

09/04/2011 11:43 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

you are so right and thats why I say if you have a new problem or sever pain that does not go away please please have it checked..If you have an inner voic saying there is something else going on,please follow up on it..even docs are bad when they know you have fibro to say oh well its just fibro..I hve had several things happen that I myself blamed on my back issue or fibro to find out it wasnt it at all and I let it go on so long I had to have surgery for one..

I worry so much about our fibro family when it comes to this because fibro covers so much but yet isnt proof posotive it is from fibro..so plese again always consult your doc and listen to your gut feeling

09/04/2011 01:39 PM
nembery
nembery  

absolutely! i have a friend who also has fibro and her doctor was very unhappy that she didn't call about an issue! she just thought it was more fibro fun so she didn't call her doctor but when she went to her regular appointment turned out it wasn't.

09/04/2011 01:59 PM
oroman
oroman  

Oh yes, I have been putting off to see an Endocrinologist for a yr now. Finally I decided to make an appt with one. This will be in 2 1/2 weeks. And yet, the endoc office need to see my need to see this dr. I have to get the report the G.I doc has for me back in May '11 stating that I have a cyst on one of my kidneys and gallbladder problems. My gut tells me I have a problem with my Thyroid and thats why I want to be seeing by the Endo dr.

My rheumy will not like this too much, but I have a right to make a decision like this on my behalf.

---Olga---

09/04/2011 06:40 PM
Kvasconez

I'm an Advocate

I totally agree. Thanks for raising this, hatbox. If they had made the fibro diagnosis and did not go through the further and comp,ete testing for other conditions, I would have never learned about my cervical spinal stenosis...this causes many of the same symptoms and is confused with fibro. But two docs con fired I have both, amplifying my pain and resulting in days I cannot walk. If I did not know about this, I would not stop doing certain things that have been putting me at risk of paralysis. This link shows a list of coexisting conditions. http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/fibromyalgia_ac.html It is also very, very important that a western blot is done to rule out Lyme...unlike fibro, it can damage your body if left without treatment...

Post edited by: Kvasconez, at: 09/04/2011 06:41 PM

Post edited by: Kvasconez, at: 09/04/2011 06:42 PM

10/11/2011 09:49 AM
bodhi2

Good luck to you! This year I finally had gall bladder removed after an eternity of discomfort. I never had stones so it was never a front burner issue--just nagging, nagging pain and discomfort. GONE. not that i am pain free, but at least that one is gone.

Then during all the pre-surgery radiology they discovered a enlarged node in thyroid, so that got removed 6 wks later. No cancer was detected at time of surgery, but the lab did find that the tumor inside nodule was malignant but that it was removed intact during surgery. So, prognosis is good and I'm 30 lbs lighter and feeling better than I have in years.

Conclusion: Listen to small inner voice when it says something is wrong. If you can hear it over the roar of chronic pain, it's probably serious. Good luck to you.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved