MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/18/2011 02:23 PM

Fibro and urinary tract infections

mindyc
mindyc  
I'm an Advocate

Are fibromyalgia and urinary tract infections connected? I have read one or two accounts by women who say they think the two are connected, but I wondered if anyone here had chronic/recurrent UTIs and fibro. Thanks for sharing!

08/18/2011 04:36 PM
Kvasconez

I'm an Advocate

I don't get them, but I have seen many posts where some are plagued with them. I have irritable urinary tract as one issue with my fibro and the cervical spinal stenosis. My issue is frequency and urinary hesitancy. But other sufferers do have frequent bladder issues. This link takes you to a fabulous site. This goes directly to urinary issues associated with fibro. http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/ fibromyalgia_urinary.html. This link goes to the interstitial cystitis section, describing another bladder condition. http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/ fibromyalgia_interstitial_cystitis.htmlq

Best of luck. I had them frequently growing up and they are no fun at all.

Post edited by: Kvasconez, at: 08/18/2011 04:37 PM

Post edited by: Kvasconez, at: 08/18/2011 04:46 PM

08/18/2011 05:01 PM
mindfulmel
mindfulmel  

Hey Kvasconez, i have always had them and just found out that its interstitial cystitis...it goes along with people who have fibro...why they dont know, but whats interesting about this is it mimicks a uti as it has all the same symptoms except there's no bacteria in the urine and most doctors don't know this because they just treat you without sending the urine off for culture to check for bacteria...so yeah the symptoms are the same...but with IC there's no bacteria overload and with a uti there is...another thing is this...SOME people who are on pain meds or COAT treatment (chronic opioid analgesic therapy) experience urinary retention which also mimicks IC and uti symptoms ....its extremely uncomfortable... i take cranberry capsules otc and drink lots of water...it works better than anything...so for those of you who have symptoms, PLEASE PLEASE make sure you tell them to send your urine off for culture, then if it comes back negative you know right then and there its most likely Interstitial cystitis.otherwise you will be unneccesarily be given and taking antibiotics when you dont need them as they wont help IC at all....only pyridium for comfort (the stuff that makes you pee range) or an otc med that works the same will help...also alot of hot baths and lots of cranberry juice and water...i have these symptoms at least 3 days a week so i know!!! take care

08/18/2011 05:14 PM
mindyc
mindyc  
I'm an Advocate

Ladies, thank you for the helpful information! I need all the help I can get!

08/19/2011 01:49 AM
Kvasconez

I'm an Advocate

Hi, Mindful, I appreciate the great info on IC and the advice on asking your doctor to send it out for bacteria checks. And, MindyC that's what we are here for...to support you any way we can. Have a terrific Friday!

08/19/2011 05:22 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

that is a tuff one.only because anything really can be blamed on fibro..I truly dont know but I would say that I have had more and had never been proun to them..since muscels and nerves are effected which is the same thing that also works with your urianary trac it could be..I would also say I know during pregnacy my sister has to be cathed to get a acurate bacterial because anytime anything hit air it will get some bacteria in there.she has always sufferd with them..

also taking baths will add to them and being most of us love to soak in the tub it is a higher risk for us..Please let us know if you find out anything more..and if I havent welcomed you yet welcome to the group

08/19/2011 06:41 AM
mabri
mabri  
VIP Member

I don't have problems with this, however I am a kidney stone manufacturing machine. I have had approx 8, and they are horrible. I refuse to take baths. Not that they don't make me feel better, but because when I am done, It is such an ordeal to get out of the tub, that whatever benefit I got from the bath is now gone. I agree with Broken, you are way more prone to UTI's when you take baths. This could really be a part of it if you sit in the tub a lot.

08/19/2011 10:07 AM
mindfulmel
mindfulmel  

Ive had IC since i was in my 20's and ive never had a bath until now in my home, i also have a shower broken, so its not from that =). IC is not well understood like fibromyalgia but they do think since both are painful it may have something to do with central sensitization (which is ONE of the suspected culprits or causes of fibro) what works for me may not work for others and using the tub for relief when active with symptoms is great and its encouraged by urologists-(i work for one so i know ) taking a bath is only a concern if you do it all the time as this could promote a uti to occur... anyways, i responded to this discussion because well its kinda MY AREA of expertise so i just wanted to share my knowledge with you all, ive been in the medical professsion for 15 years now so please feel free to ask me anything id be more than happy to help ,have a great and pain free weekend! xo

08/19/2011 12:47 PM
smartgrandma

Hi MindyC, I don't get them but my Mom gets them a lot (her being 86 years old doesn't help her any)....and yes, I did inherit fibro from her. I just hope and pray that none of my kids inherit it from me. I'm not sure why some people get UTI's often and others don't. Oh, by the way, is Mindy short for Melinda? My daughter Melinda has always gone by "Mindy". I'm a newbie here....just joined last week. I am so happy to be meeting so many people here who actually understand what I've been going thru for all of these years. I was dx in 1998, but I'm sure that I've had it for much, much longer. Have a great weekend!

Gentle hugs,

DonnaSmile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved