MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/18/2011 07:08 AM

Contemplating knee replacements

Nitalynn
Nitalynn  

I wonder if I am sane! I do not heal very fast anymore and I know rehab would be more painful thus putting me through the wringer.

On the other hand both my knees are totally messed up as well as a bad back. I can't flex my knees to lean over to pick anything up which I try to do as little as possible but hubby has a bad back also and if I get or fall onto the floor I cannot get up by myself. If my son is here he and hubby can get me up but without my son both hubby and I could end up stuck there. At some point soon my son hopes to move closer to his job so we will be by ourselves again soon. If I got the surgery maybe I could start to exercise again also.

08/18/2011 07:12 AM
mabri
mabri  
VIP Member

Nitalynn,

I guess you have to look and see what is gonna be best for you in the longrun. I know there is enough pain in your life now, but if you have the surgery, will the pain improve at least in your knees in time? Phy Ther is painful, but there again, if it will be better for you in the future, you have to decide if it is worth it. Unfortunately, our knees do a lot for us, and there is a lot we can't do without them. I hope with help of your dr, you can decide what is best for you. Hugs

Becky

08/18/2011 07:34 AM
Nitalynn
Nitalynn  

Thank you Becky. It is an important decision to my future. Hubby is going to have cataract surgery within the next few months and I don't won't to start anything till after he is back on track. I have always been a do-it-myself type person and sometimes I chafe terribly at being so limited in what I could do anymore. I suppose one reason I am afraid is I had kidney stone surgery in 2007 and was not able to get out of bed for more than going to the bathroom or going to lie on the couch for 3 months afterward. Up until I got fibro I healed very quickly but now it takes so long it scares me, It's not really the pain I fear but the possibility that I might end up worse off.

08/18/2011 07:36 AM
Kvasconez

I'm an Advocate

Hi Nitalynn,

I agree with Becky that you will need to do what is best for you and your husband. It sounds like you may wish to do it sooner than later so that your son will be there to help before he moves out. You are very fortunate that he is there with you. I know this must be a difficult decision for you and any surgery when you have fibro is never pleasant and doubly painful. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Let us know what you decide and when some can send out positive thoughts for an uncomplicated surgery and recovery. Have a great day!

Kim

08/18/2011 07:53 AM
irmouse
irmouse  

Nitalynn, I agree with everyone else that you have to do what is best for you. Smile

As for me I have had my left knee worked on 3 times. The first on was a 99.9 knee replacement operation. I got to keep my own knee cap. But the leg had to be realigned and the shin bone had to be cut and moved over.

I have 3 surgical pins in the leg now.

Sad

I had this done 14 years ago and have had to get it 'twiked' / operationed on 2 times over the years. About every 6 years or so to clean up scare tissue. Pinch

I had a long recovery about 9 months total. Rehab 3 times a week for about 5 months, then down to 2 then to one and off the cruches and cane by the end of 9. I'd do it again as it's better now than before and I really wanted the use of the knee again.

Let us know how it goes.

Soft hugs going out to you.

Linda R

Smile

08/18/2011 08:21 AM
Nitalynn
Nitalynn  

I have had problems with my knees for a long time and then I was crossing the street one day while drinking a soda, carrying a notebook and talking to friends and did not notice I had missed the side of the crosswalk, struck the curb and went down forcefully on both knees. Nothing was broken but they have been a true mess ever since.

P.S. I should have known better. I never have been able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Post edited by: Nitalynn, at: 08/18/2011 08:23 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved