MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/08/2008 02:33 PM

Dire Need letter to SSD

fibroforever
fibroforever  
VIP Member

Has anyone ever written a "Dire Need" letter to SSD? If so, did it help move your case up?

Our financial situation has just been horrible. I know that lots of people are in the same situation. And I've been doing some researching and have found that it could be helpful to write one of these letters and then "maybe", just "maybe" they will move my hearing date up with the ALJ. --- We can't afford my meds and doctor visits. I'm at a loss to what we're gonna do. We had to file bankruptcy and surrendered our home, both in December 2006. So, we don't have credit cards and obviously no place to get extra money and no way of borrowing money. Heck the only reason we even have a roof over our head is because my dad bought as house for us. He only makes us pay $400 rent. Little does he know, we don't even have that. My husband works for the local COOP and doesn't make much money. He's been trying for years to get a different job, but even though he's got 25+ years of experience... they don't want to hire some old guy. (He's almost 50, which is considered old in the laboring job market.) Plus we live in the same county of Maytag and now, employers would rather give one of those 1,800 people that lost a job, than my hubby.

Sorry for the sob story. I really just wanted to know about the letter. Thanks.

01/08/2008 02:58 PM
spruce1
spruce1  

Fibro,

I really feel for you....if we weren't Family Living Providers for the handicapped we'd have nothing but my hubbys disabiltiy and my SSI.

First I would like to know where is your case at now? Has it been approved? Or are you just filing now or been to a judge?

Spruce

01/08/2008 02:59 PM
battyburnett
battyburnett  

I'm so sorry you are having things so rough. I didn't write a dire need letter, but I have a suggestion. Have you gone to your local Human Resources? My doctor helped me get on Medicaid by writing a letter saying that I could not afford medicine that I had to have.

I hope you find help. It's awful to be sick and can't work, and can't afford medicine that might make life a little better.

Donna

01/08/2008 03:06 PM
spruce1
spruce1  

Your so right Batty,

Perhaps meanwhile you can get help at (gulp) social services? I know, that's a hard thing to do but when you need help you, need help! I'm still curious about where your at with your case and maybe we can figure something out! (sadly, maybe)Sad !

Don't give up.....even if you have to ask for help. You didn't ask for this to happen and that's why they have institutions out there.

Hope for the best.....

Spruce

01/08/2008 03:17 PM
froggy
foggy  

Oh Fibro my heart goes out to you. A lot of us have been through rough times, but no one ever knows what we really go through. Have you tried using an Attorney that specializes in Social Security? If you have a case they dont charge you. When you win your case they are paid from your award. I hope this helps you; if not keep plugging.Blush

01/08/2008 03:38 PM
fibroforever
fibroforever  
VIP Member

Guess I should have explained some more about my case. Here it goes....

I'm using Allsup. We filed March 2007 and I was initially denied. Then we appealed, and once again I was denied. So we applied again and I'm waiting for a hearing w/ALJ. No approval yet, and of course no guarantee of approval.

My husband and I have checked into help. He makes too much for us to get help. But not enough to live. He makes like only $25,000-$28,000 yearly. They consider that too much for help! But yet, our expenses are: $200 health insurance, $400 rent, $153 utility, $465 auto (we have a teenage driver) and rental insurance, $40-$45 water bill, spend approx. $200 in auto gas, $10 bank fee, $150 phone and cellular, $270 car payment- this comes up to $1,888 a month. Not to mention that we still have to eat, my doctor's visits, medicines, necessities, etc....

Thanks SO much for caring and giving me some feedback on this topic. I really appreciate it.

01/08/2008 04:24 PM
spruce1
spruce1  

Oh Fibro,

I wish there was a special button we can press and everthing happens to you as you deserve.

Personally, I'm not familiar with Allsup. It's probably a company or SSD thingy (aren't I technicalSilly )!

I know how difficult it is. Ya know they need to lower the silly limit they have on for allowing people who need help. There are so many caught between the "rock and hard place"! It's soooooo aggravatingDizzy

Keep us updated and continue to talk and vent when you need to, ok?

Hoping for the best,

Spruce

Cheerful

01/08/2008 06:34 PM
CJ

My heart also goes out to you and everyone that's just starting the process. I tell you I cursed, sweated, borrowed, and became a magician of bill paying before I was finally approved. All this while they raked me over there coals with one Psychiatrist and one Internal Medicine Dr. who both (not focusing on the reason I put for why I needed disability) denied me, which I still wonder if they did it so I would get eventually approved... hmmm I doubt cuz they were both #$%#holes.

Anyways, I just wanted to say that my wife wrote letters to our Senator and Governor who both wrote back, one staffer called back with even more information, and finally the Governor wrote a letter of support stating that he would like my case to be expedited and approved due to the overwhelming evidence supported.

But when it came right down to it, I believe it was my lawyer that won the case for me. It was denied shortly after receiving the letter from the governor, but about 6 weeks after that I received a letter from SS that the case was going to court and it could take months before my case was heard. I had been waiting already a year and a half. My lawyer arranged for a side counsel to be heard where my case was taken (I can't remember the terminology) but due to the overwhelming evidence the judge ruled in my favor.

I can't say whether or not the letter did help me, but they couldn't have hurt me. And Senators are always saying that voters never send letters or pick up the phone anymore. I think they're right, and I think we should. Wouldn't it be great if this support group were to become a political body someday that could afford lobbyists and could put a few people in congress? Some might say .. hell no. But in March of 2007 this was suppose to be a local support group with 7 to 10 people maybe with monthly meetings. Until I found these two guys Roy and Alon who I asked if they would be interested in helping me out in starting an online support group for people with Fibromyalgia, a place for people to come and ask questions and do so without any threat of attack but free open space.

So look what we've pulled off in less than a year. Certainly and eventually I hope we could someday be of some help to people who are waiting for their social security. Now that would be an achievement.

Let me know if you need any help writing any letters Fibro, just in case you're hands are in too much pain. I know the feeling. I'd be happy to help.

01/09/2008 07:16 AM
fibroforever
fibroforever  
VIP Member

CJ-

Thank you so much for you feedback. And I really could use some help with the letter. My daughters can help me with the typing, but I have not idea where to even begin and what to say. I've looked for sample letters on the internet and have been unsuccesful. I only find certain things to be sure to include in the letter. My fibro fog prevents me from actually composing the darn thing. (And to think a few years ago I was an Admin. Asst. and could have just whipped a letter out without even thinking.)

Anyway, if you could help, I'd truly appreciate it. Either post back or send me a PM or something. Thank you SO very much.

Oh, and my daughters helped me write a letter to every legal person we could think of (i.e. Republican and Democrat Senators, Governors, President, etc.). Both are looking into my case. One even sends me status letters. Not sure if these are helping, but certainly can't hurt. --- I/we haven't told them of our financial situation yet though. I do intend to let them know though, once we write the "Dire Need" letter.

Thanks Again!

01/21/2008 09:41 AM
mamanordy

FibroForever- try www.needymeds.com You might be able to get free or discounted medication.

I do empathize with you, I am in the appeals section of ssd, it is hard on my family without my wages.

Debbi

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved