MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/04/2008 06:03 PM

PATIENT ZERO

pillpopper

HEY GUYS, ANYONE KNOW WHO IS PATIENT ZERO?

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE OUT THERE KNEW HOW LONG THIS FIBRO HAS BEEN GOIN ON... THE HISTORY OF WHEN IT BEGAN, AND HAS IT ALWAYS BEEN CALLED FIBROMYALGIA?

BRUCE, SUZZE, ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW?

I JUST FEEL IT'S REAL IMPORTANT TO KEEP GOOD RECORDS ON THIS STRANGE SYNDROME. MAYBE OUR RECORDS CAN HELP IN RESEARCH AND THEY WILL FIND A CURE.

01/04/2008 07:05 PM
ellie1

Hi thre, honey, I was researching and could only find the Patient Zero for HIV.. so, I don't know, but will keep looking. Since the medical community JUST recognized Fibro as a REAL illness, how will we find out? I know that John F. Kennedy was the first person who was taken seriously, and they called it Myofascial something or other, however, we are just peons, so why should we be considered as having it too?

Sorry, feeling a bit sarcastic tonight..

01/04/2008 07:15 PM
Fletch2ya
Fletch2ya  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

haha... well its like this... I tried to tell Judy one day its like this ..... there is no room inside me to move, every nerve is overloaded and I can not take any crap,,, nothing from anyone.... it only takes just one extra word on a sentence.. Judy can be driving and someone will do something stupid in front of us....(believe that in fl....) and I fly off the handle..... so yes I think that qualifies as patient ZERO

01/04/2008 07:41 PM
ellie1

Fletch, you are such a character! I guess I am going to have to fight YOU for the position as Patient Zero, cuz I do all the same things.

Seriously, Patient Zero means the first RECORDED case of an illnes. OF course, they have EVERY illness, including SARS listed online, but for the lowly disease of Fibromyalgia? Nada, nothing, zilch, zero. I remember my rhemy telling me that John F.Kennedy was the first person to have been "said" to have it. Right. He was SPECIAL. We are not, neither were our mothers or grandmothers or grandfathers. My maternal grandmother, who was "told" she had RA years and years ago ( about 50 years ago). You know what, the more I think about it, I think SHE had fibro! She never had gnarled hands or feet, she swelled easily, but so do I. She just HURT and was really tired. Of course, I hate to speak ill of the dead, but my grandfather was a first class JERK to live with...maybe that stress CAUSED her Fibro? Too bad I don't know more about those times..I was young when she died of cancer. A reall cool woman. She gave me my love of the outdoors.

01/04/2008 08:50 PM
HAMPTON7026
HAMPTON7026  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I haven't found patient zero but here's what I found out: according to wikipedia Fibro has been studied since the early 1800's and was referred as muscular rheumatism and fibrositis. Fibro was named in 1976 and wasn't recogized by the American Medical Association until 1987. So in my opinion, its going to be hard to find a true patient zero. If the AMA has only recogized this for 20 years how are we going to find out who it was 200 years ago. It goes to show how long this has been affecting people and how its been swept under the rug for way to long!!! You would think that after 200 years that someone would come up with a reason or a true cause for this disease. Makes you wonder if the government is involved somehow!! Sorry, I like ellie am feeling a bit sarcastic tonight!!

01/04/2008 10:10 PM
ellie1

GREAT JOB, HAMPTOM~ Why would you apologize to us? All of us are so angry and feel sarcastic, I take no offense. I think you did a great job reasearching this.. thanks! ellie

01/05/2008 07:45 AM
Aquarian211
Aquarian211  

hey gang... I read... somewhere along my path - that the first recorded case of fibro was during biblical times. Thought i'd throw that out there... but I don't know where I read it.. when or why... heheheheh - {fibro fog} !

01/05/2008 08:42 AM
ellie1

Oh, wow, that is so cool! How I wish we could find it... go Pillpoper, go!!!

01/05/2008 12:53 PM
singingangel

I wonder who it was. I knew about the fibrositis. Myofascial syndrome is different than fibro ellei. Myofascial is trigger points not tender points. It is localized as opposed to widespread pain. Anyway, if you want to know more about it Ill tell you.

Still cant figure out who had the fibro in Bible.

01/05/2008 01:26 PM
spruce1
spruce1  

Hi everyone!

I remember when I was dx with this back in 87-88. I was told this was relatively new. However, I also heard later they do feel that FMS has probably been around for maybe hundreds of years. Remember how you'd hear storys about "women" (why always women?) that was just hypochrondriacs and they were just lazy and just wanted to sleep all the time?? Well, this could be something that's been with us for who knows how long!

Let's be thankful we were'nt born then, eh???

Just think how they must of felt with ABSOLUTLY no support or help!!!Angry

Well, that's my 2 cents and you can keep the changeGrin !

Take care all!

Spruce

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved