MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/02/2011 04:07 PM

fibro vs. lupus flare

ngteeps
ngteeps  

how do you know it's a lupus flare a fibro flare or both? all my joints hurt extremely bad and I can't get any relief, I have did everything I could think of, hot bath, hot compresses, heating pad, pain meds. nothing is helping, I've been in and out of bed for two days and am suppose to go back to work tomorrow, what do I do? I called my md and he said they can't admit you into the hospital for pain management, how the hell do u get the pain to be tolerable?

05/02/2011 04:41 PM
wolfmanpark
wolfmanpark  
VIP Member

Wow this sounds really bad. I dont know anything about lupus but fibro or whatever I really have with herniated disc and arthritis is no joke when it comes to sever pain that never leaves. I know this sounds kinda weird but have you ever tried a short cold bath with ice in the tube ? I have done this a few times when I cant take it anymore and works some.

05/02/2011 05:14 PM
mmason

ngteeps,

I think fibro tends to be more muscle pain...I know mine is...and lupus tends to be more joint pain. Sounds like your lupus could be flaring. you should get in to see whichever doc that manages your lupus so they can start treating it right away if it's the lupus. I'm so sorry to hear you're having so much pain and no relief. That's really tough to deal with. I would call your doc back tomorrow and insist on being seen. Have you tried, or are you on any anti-inflammatories? When you say pain meds, I assume narcotics, you could always alternate the narcotics with ibuprofen or aleve or something til you can call your doc tomorrow. I wish I had some better answers for you! Smile I may not have any great suggestions, but I can pray for you! That must be tough, trying to figure out of it's fibro or lupus. Praying for relief for you soon! In the meantime, we're always here to listen and offer encouragement...this is a great group!

05/02/2011 06:46 PM
stillhopeful
stillhopeful  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I have both lupus and fibro. Dx of systemic lupus was decades before fibro. I have had lupus since I was a child. Even though I have had both for years and I also have diabetic neuropathy,and at times it is still very difficult to tell where the pain is originating from. I have been on lupus meds since dx, and right now it is just maintenance dose, but at other times I have to go on the chemo drugs and I did several years in a row like that. Lupus as we both know can cause inflamation in any organ, tissue, muscle in our body. Nothing is really safe. With fibro, we know where our tender points are and when my neck and shoulders, and shoulderblades are unbearable, I know it is my fibro. When my low back hurts it could be any of the above or my spinal stenosis, bulging discs or arthritis or lupus. When my ribs hurt in a certain place I am almost always sure it is my costochondritis. I also have coronary artery disease and had stents put in over a year ago now, but the told me that was because my lupus attacked my heart. I also have asthma so when my chest hurts, I used to always blame it on my asthma or costochondritis, but now if my chest is tight or painful I immediately take a nitryglycerin pill. No more taking chances for me.

I feel so bad for you. Sorry for all the information, but I was hoping it would help you figure out where yours is coming. How long have you been diagnosed with lupus and fibro and are you taking any meds at the current time? I have three different strengths of vicodin I can take (mostly that many because I have two torn rotator cuffs and depending on how painful those are, determines which strength of vicodin I take. Currently, I mainly take pain meds mostly at night. I had a long day the other day when I went out to the International Women's Show in our area, and it is am arena not far from here. I did take flexeril and vicodin with me that day, and my cane.

If you have any other questions for me, please feel free to pm anytime and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

I hope I have helped you. There is also a lupus group here and I don't go on as much as I used to because I have two groups I am GL in, and belong to a few other groups.

I look forward to getting to know you better.

Welcome Hugs~

Christine

05/03/2011 09:48 AM
EMMS950
EMMS950  

I'm sorry I don't know much about lupus but I do know that even with fibro sometimes nothing stops the pain even strong narcotics. I know i'm going through a bad flare when that happens. The only thing you can do at that point is wait it out. I wish I could help more but I will keep you in my prayers. Hope you feel better soon. Eileen

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved