MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/22/2011 07:34 AM

World News Diane Sawyer talks about Pain Meds

RoseofSharon
RoseofSharon  

This just burned me up. I can't find the video but the article summarizing it is available here:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/prescription-painkillers-record- number-americans-pain-medication/story?id=13421828

I cannot believe they didn't mention chronic pain sufferers and that they made people that take pain medication out to be monsters. How about doing a little more research before airing this lead story? Even my husband was furious and he doesn't fully understand what I'm going through but knows I wouldn't be functioning if I didn't have pain medication to take the edge off. To summarize at the end the reporter said that even for broken arms you should just take some advil and "suck it up". Wow, thanks for setting things back a bit and making us look like addicts instead of what we truly are - chronic pain sufferers. I'd like to see one of them in our shoes for a day then give them some advil to cope. Wow, I just had to share this with you guys.

04/22/2011 08:38 AM
PrincessButterfly

http://abcnews.go.com/US/prescription-painkillers-record- number-americans-pain-medication/story?id=13421828

This is the Video....Click on the ARROW in the BOX!

I wonder if Diane Sawyer had Fibromyalgia and Chronic Pain how she would feel.....Whistling

Post edited by: PrincessButterfly, at: 04/22/2011 09:31 AM

04/22/2011 08:51 AM
john645
john645  

It is attitudes and articles like this one that make it so difficult for those of us who are chronic pain sufferers to receive the help we need. The woman in the article who claimed to be taking 75 Vicodin a day has a big impact to the reader but if you research at all you find she is claiming to take 900% of the maximum dose at it's lowest strength.

We need a little more truth in reporting and compassion from health care providers.

04/22/2011 09:02 AM
DelicateSoul
DelicateSoulPosts: 366

People with no empathy or sympathy for others tend to stick their noses where they dont belong and say hurtful things. It is arrogant and uncalled for, but they are on this high horse and dont give a crap about how others feel. Sorry, struck a nerve there.

Thanks for this info. Makes me want to start writing letters.

John, I agree!

I have come into contact with some very harsh ppl since I have had Fibro. Wanna tell them to shove it sometimes.

Have a good day John and Sharon.

Hugs.

04/22/2011 09:06 AM
RoseofSharon
RoseofSharon  

Couldn't agree with you more John! It was encouraging that several people posted comments that felt the same way I do. I'm aware of the addiction possibility with these medications but don't put it out there that everyone on them are addicts looking for a good time. It's hard enough for us to come to our doctor in pain and ask for relief, they didn't need to do this to make doctors take a step back and think for a moment first.

04/22/2011 09:20 AM
Kristie1972
Kristie1972  

i just read the report that was on if i remember right ABC... i have never read such wrong infromation in all of my life. that whole report was nothing more than a lot of BS..

i have been on the same rx of lortab for the last 3 to 4 years. rx'd at 4 a day.. most days i take a lot less than what i can... for one. they said that vicodon is as addictive as herion. that is really wrong. from my research you are addicted to herion the first time that you try it. like i said earlyer i have been on lortabs for the 3 to 4 years and there are days that i don't take any at all. so how is that addictive. and lortabs and vicodon and percsets are all in the same family...

04/22/2011 10:09 AM
DelicateSoul
DelicateSoulPosts: 366

Princess, thanks for the video. That is sad that they bundle everyone in the same category.Sad I dont WANT to take ANY pulls, but if it helps me play with my children and cook dinner, who are they to say?

04/22/2011 10:23 AM
mmason

I'm a nurse, and still, I'm shacked, saddened, and angered at this type of attitude. Sadly, the majority of physicians and other health care providers and under-educated about treating pain, and addiction. While it is true that the danger of addiction to these drugs exists, only a very small percentage of patients taking these medications as prescribed ever get addiction. It's important to realize that addiction and physical dependence are vastly different! Being physically dependent on a drug (ie: developing a tolerance to it) is NOT the same as being addicted to it!! Someone who has taken these meeds long term WILL become physically dependent, and WILL have withdrawal symptoms if the medication is discontinued abruptly, but that STILL does NOT mean one is an addict! It merely means our bodies have become "used to" the drug, and reacts when the med is stopped. Addicts, however, take more medication tha is prescribed, take it for recreational purposes or when they don't have pain, and often will get the drugs on the street, or "doctor hop" to get their meds. the problem is that most doctors are not adequately trained in managing pain. and there is a bias in the media, and in the general public that narcotics are highly addictive, and dangerous. another problem is that these drugs are monitored by the DEA, and physicians have to answer to them about prescribing these drugs, and many docs just don't want the hassle of having to justify prescribing these drugs long term. The end result? People who truly need these drugs ton function have a hard time getting them, or cant get them at all, so they live with pain every day, with no way to get relief. Like so many other things in life, the few who abuse narcotics mess it up for the rest of us who truly need them, and take them appropriately, and as prescribed. Something needs to change in the medical community, because there are literally thousands of patients who suffer needlessly, simply because their physicians are under-educated, or falsely educated about prescribing narcotics, and are simply afraid to prescribe them in all but the most extreme cases. I saw the effects of it every day in my nursing practice, and now live it as a patient. The medical comma ity considers us kids, when all we're doing is asking for our pain to be treated, just as a diabetic for asks their insulin to treat their condition. I wish I had an answer to the problem, but I don't, so I'll get off my soapbox for now. Smile If you couldn't tell, I'm very passionate about this! I've fought against this bias for years, both as a patient, and as a medical professional. It's frustrating for all concerned. Even some doctors struggle with it, bacause they WANT to be able to use these drugs for their patients, but have to face and answer to the DEA, and in many cases, their peers. I'm sorry to be so long winded! I hope this helps explain WHY some docs are so reluctant to give us the drugs we so desperately need, and helps reassure us all that we are NOT addicts just because we take these drugs, or even become physically dependent on them. All we can do is hang in there, and keep fighting for what we need, even if it means changing doctors. Maybe WE can teach our doctors a thing or two! God knows someone needs to! Just keep in mind, most docs are good people who really do want to help their patients...many are just not well educated, or just plain misinformed when it comes to this issue. If enough of us keep fighting this issue, maybe we will finally see a change! Smile Oh, what a happy day that will be!!

04/22/2011 10:41 AM
PrincessButterfly

AMEN! Thank you! Wink

04/22/2011 10:55 AM
RoseofSharon
RoseofSharon  

Mel I needed that so bad! Amen indeed!!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved