MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/16/2011 12:15 PM

My body is going numb-literally

tntmom1027
tntmom1027Posts: 537

So now my left leg is numb and now my foot(about 80% of leg and foot now), and of course my stomach from my c-section.

But now, my arm(wrist actually) has gone numb on top, I literally can't feel touch/pokes on top. What the heck is happening?

Any ideas?

My leg I think is my lower back(herniated discs) but what would cause my wrist to go numb and not the rest of my arm?

Strange days. Blink

04/16/2011 01:56 PM
tonyaraz
tonyaraz  

I would recommend contacting your doctor because it could be neurological. I hope you feel better soon and get it figured out.

04/16/2011 02:30 PM
tntmom1027

yeah I plan on calling Monday, trying to figure out if I should call my primary doc or my rheumitologist, don't know which would be best. I have Psoriatic arthritis which i similar to RA, and causes inflammation throughout the body, which I guess could be causing the numbness.

04/16/2011 11:01 PM
AuntyK
AuntyK  

I now put down all my random numbness to the Fibro cause they have done all the test and can't find anything else to be causing it. I have had my pinkie finger go totally numb for months and then come right again. I had the roof of my mouth go numb for two days and then come back, again no explanation AT ALL. My feet, legs, arms, hands etc come and go ALL the time. Sometimes it is just for a few hours, sometimes its for days. Oh and my face goes occasionally too, just down one side.

So sorry, can't help with the 'why' or the 'how to fix'. But thought I would share so that you know that you are not alone.

K

04/17/2011 04:43 PM
fibromite
fibromitePosts: 810

I get the numbness as well and it mostly seems like it is my left side.

05/04/2011 01:44 PM
tntmom1027

Saw my rhumie today, she says the numbness seems to be from my ulna nerve? being compressed, because of the inflammation in my elbow(arthritis). She said that it might/hopefully get better if we can get the inflammation down but that if it is damaged to much it might never recover and I'll just be stuck with the numbness..fun.

She also said that my hands are going numb while sleeping because of the same nerve, and that the only solution would be to immobalize my elbows at night LOL I think i'll stick with that temporary numbness(goes away after a few minutes when I wake up) than interfere with my sleep even more than the pain already does.

I also loved how she commented that I'm not getting better because I'm depressed...Except I'm not depressed, minus my medical issues this is the best time in my life lol. She cited my self-injury scars as proof of chronic depression(except they are 5 yrs old and don't think they are ever going away) like "once depressed always depressed" give me a break.

05/04/2011 01:52 PM
Adewyn
Adewyn  
Group Leader

let me know what they find out..I have numbness fron the top of my head to the tip of my toes all on the left side and get random paralysis on my left side and cant think and slur words when it gets real bad.. always numb on my left side teeth tongue cheeks forehead etc....the brigham and woman neurology team couldnt figure it out... so off to NC with fresh eyes

05/04/2011 06:56 PM
AuntyK
AuntyK  

tnt - what a cow! Seriously, I just roll my eyes at people like that and then work to find a better dr. One who doesn't 'know' all the answers automatically and actually works on helping you out not put it all down to their preconceived ideas.

I am glad that they worked out the numbness for you though, even though there is little answer to how to fix it!

K

05/04/2011 11:22 PM
tntmom1027

lol Agree AuntyK... I'm thankful that we are moving by the end of July so I can find a better doc, since we will be moving to a larger city.

adewyn: I can't believe they haven't figured out whats wrong yet, I hope they get it figured out when you go to NC.

It's strange that I'm having so many problems with different nerves so close in time, my back has nerve problems, my stomach has an out of whack nerve that they say the only solution to the pain is sugery to cut of the nerve, and now this arm thing.

05/05/2011 06:00 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

I would suggest you get anoher opinion can yousee a neurologist,,dont mess around with nerves...I think you need to look for another opinion.the doc might also be able to recomend other things..good luck keep us informed

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved