MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/11/2008 03:44 AM

Disability doctor

mbradford
mbradford  

Well I went to the doctor that the disability folks wanted me to go and see and it was a joke. I went into this tiny office and waited with about 20 other pple for about 2 1/2 hours, everyone else was staying back with the doctor about 30 to 45 mins. Well when it was my turn she called me back and as soon as I sat down she told me that if I would exercise and get plenty of rest my fibro wouldnt be that bad. Devil If I had a penny for every time I heard that I wouldnt need disability! All she did was a range of motion test on me and then ask me to sit on her table which by the way is way up in the air, I am only 5'3 and if I didnt have fibro I still would have had a hard time getting up on it. She offered no help at all and I was only with for about 20 mins. So I am gonna assume she is gonna say I am fine, I have never been so angry and humiliated in my life. And when I left she reminded me to get plenty of excersise,she was not a very nice person at all very rude and talked down to me. Its bad enough that we have to do this but it makes it worse when you have people like that making you feel worthless. I hope no one else has to go through what I did. Thanks for letting me vent I needed it.

Gentle hugs and prayers

12/11/2008 04:33 AM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

{{{mbradford}}} I am sorry you had to go thru that but it sounds familiar of what I have heard others say as to how they were treated when they go to these drs.

My sister-in-law (several years ago) said that it seemed to her that if your ""disability"" was visible (missing arm, leg etc.) the worse one was treated. That is terrible !!!

{{{hugs}}} and prayers for better situation if you ever decide to go to another such dr.

Marilyn

12/11/2008 05:42 AM
Midnyte

It's such a shame that "doctors" like that are used to help determine disability cases. They should at least be open minded Sad

12/11/2008 05:53 AM
mamanordy

The disability dr they sent me to was worthless also. He was with me maybe 10 minutes. The sad part of it all is that he lied in his report. I got a copy of it from my primary care dr. The disability dr said he had me do all kinds of things, like stand with my hands out to the side and stand on one foot, etc. He never even touched me or asked me to do any of those things. I wrote a not so nice letter to ssd about that. They definitely covered his a@@ when I got approved, they mentioned that appointment and they said because he didnt have access to any of my records, Xrays, MRIs etc he couldnt and didnt make the right decision and that his visit beared no weight on my approval. Yeah, that is right, because he is a quack!!!

I am sorry you were put through this. It is humiliating and a waste of our time. The dr I saw was rude to me also and talked down to me.

12/11/2008 07:42 AM
Janilee

mbradford I'm so sorry you were treated like that. What a jerk that Dr was. That is one of my pet peeves. No doctor should pass judgement on you unless they have all the facts.

12/11/2008 08:17 AM
KayDesigner

I have a doctor that suggested I look into getting disability and when I hear these stories, it just scares me. It makes me wonder if it's worth it. I don't know....

12/11/2008 08:54 AM
Iknowpain
Iknowpain  

When I first started the disabilty process I had the same experience and they did deny me. I appealed and got lucky. The case worker for my appeal realized that they had not even looked into all the fog type symptoms I was complaining of. She sent me to a shrink which was scary at first but he had me take a test and from that they determined I had both short and long term memory problems. He also said this made it impossible for me to multi-task and that I had lost all of my decision making skills. I was approved within a month. They still say that I am not disabled physically, which is garbage, but they say I am permanately disabled due to cognitive problems. You might ask your case worker about this if you have bad fog. I didn't like the idea that they think I can work physically, but at least it got me the benefits I desperately needed and with cognitive problems there are no therapies or fixes, so they reevaluate you less often. Hope this helps.

12/11/2008 10:00 AM
amommy02
amommy02  

All the doctors the send you to are worthless. Think about it, Social Security is paying these doctors not us. They work for them. And SS doesn't want to give you disability so they are going to have doctors on their side to say you can work. You just have to prove them wrong. I've often wondered if it would be legal and if so, if it would do any good to video tape your exam with these doctors. That way you'd have proof of what a joke it was to show the judge. How can they put any stock in what these doctors have to say anyway. I mean it took some of us years and many different doctors to finally even get a diagnosis. How can these quacks make this diagnosis and determine our ability to work in 20 min?

12/11/2008 10:10 AM
mamanordy

I think it would be a good idea to have someone with you when you see the drs. I didnt do that and wish I had.

12/11/2008 10:42 AM
sleepwalking
sleepwalking  

I went through the same thing when I saw the disability psyciatrist. It's humiliating. I got my first denial about 10 days later.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved