MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/14/2011 10:28 AM

Fribromyalgia and Chriopractic help

Sammie1eye

Hello everyone...I am brand new to this forum and am looking for information. I have pretty much wide-spread pain from my neck to my knees. It's pretty bad right now. One of the many symptoms that I have is chronic neck pain (I was in an automobile accident several years ago). If I move my head the "wrong" way, the muscles on the right side of my neck flare and swell, the swelling moves into my inner ear, and I have limited hearing, pain AND tinnitus in that ear for several days. My ear-nose-throat physician suggested going to a chiropractor to solve this and the other pains that I'm having (the lower back, hips and legs really ache right now).

My question is....is it worth going to a chiropractor for this? Will it help? Does anyone else have experience with this? My GP and other doctors have simply told me to get more sleep (yeah, right) and take ibuprofen.

Any suggestions would be most helpful....Thanks. Sad

03/14/2011 10:39 AM
niecsey

Hi :0 nice to meet you. I went to chiro for back problems and ribs problems it made me worse cant say about neck sorry but lm sure someone will come along and help you out. Sorry this is shirt got to go good luck x

03/14/2011 11:28 AM
tntmom1027
tntmom1027Posts: 537

I see a chiro regularly that works with many patients with fibro(along with other back issues) and he is great. He is careful not to be to rough and trigger a flare, and I am currently taking a suggested break because I am in a huge flare(not from chiro just a good old flare lol) and he doesn't want to risk making it worse, so I am instructed to call him when it calms down a bit and I think I can handle it.

I think the key is ,as with any doc, to find someone that fits for you and is willing to listen to you and work at your pace not their own.

good luck

03/14/2011 11:42 AM
Sammie1eye

Thanks so much for the reply. It has become progressively worse as I've aged (another benefit of growing old Wink ).

How often do you visit your chiropractor? I have an appointment for Wednesday pm....Do you practice any other exercise / activities to help with the pain? Unfortunately, my job requires me sitting in front of a computer screen for 8-10 hours / day, so you can imagine how much my lower back aches right now.

Thanks again.Sick

03/14/2011 03:14 PM
tntmom1027
tntmom1027Posts: 537

at the beginning I saw him 3 times a week then the next week only twice now I'm down to once a week and our next goal is to get to once every 2 weeks.

I try to do light yoga and swimming as much as possible. And he suggested using my excercise ball and just sitting on that instead of a chair when I am at my desk to help gently build my abdomenal muscles.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved