MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/13/2011 06:31 PM

Horrible abdominal pain

katiebear

For as long as I can remember I've had an occasional sharp stabbing pain on the lower left side of my abdomen. For many years I just thought it was part of my cycle, and didn't think much of it. Over the past year I have noticed it more often, and not at the right time of my cycle. Well since last Thursday it has been really bad. A few times it has come on so strong that I can't move. It hurts more when I sneeze or cough. It also hurts more when my bladder is full. I've told both my family doctor and my rheumatologist about the pain, but not when it was this bad. My family doctor did a physical exam and didn't seem to find anything. I hate to call her about this because I just saw her on Wednesday.

03/14/2011 12:38 AM
ladybug7777
ladybug7777  

i had this happento me many times and they need to do an internall ultrasound to see if you have an ovarian cyst. i did. i still do. i have whats called polycystic ovaries which means that i get a cyst and it sometimes pops and causes pain or it just stays there and goes away on its own, but they are very painful because mine come back over and over. not trying to scare u but it could be what is causing your pain

03/14/2011 06:28 AM
shorelinelyme
shorelinelymePosts: 1252

I had that same sharp pain- years ago when I was in college. It was from an ovarian cyst...so I, too, recommend seeing an obgyn- and having an ultrasound done.

Good luck and I hope this pain goes away for you soon.

Hugs,

JackieSmile

03/14/2011 07:41 AM
katiebear

My mom had an ovarian cyst removed a few years ago. It was 8cm and had been there for 20 years. I think at this point I'm also thinking it could be diverticulitis. That runs in my dad's family. Either way I guess I really should go to the doctor.

03/14/2011 11:24 AM
tntmom1027
tntmom1027Posts: 537

i had an ovarian cyst a few years ago that burst and got the same pain. But I have also had recurrent pain(same kind) and they weren't able to find anything after many tests. They now believe that its a trapped nerve(compressed nerve) in my abdomen, they wanted to do surgery to sever the nerve but I said no. I have been seeing the chiro for my lower back(herniated discs) and oddly enough that helps with my abdomen..maybe the light stretching he does helps to decompress the nerve?

I agree that you should get your ovaries checked out to make sure you don't have a cyst or something else.

03/18/2011 07:57 PM
katiebear

Well I saw my doctor on Wednesday and had an ultrasound today. Turns out I have a cyst on both ovaries. The one on the left is 2.2cm and the one on the right is 3.9cm. Oddly enough, the sharp pain is on the left side. I see the gyno on April 6th to see where I go from here. Given my family history I've already worked myself into a tizzy about this.

Thank you everyone for encouraging me to see the doctor. I probably would have ignored it for another couple of months. At least now I know what is going on and I can start to deal with it.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved