MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/28/2007 08:09 PM

I've hit an all time low

Snoopy30
Snoopy30  

I have been having problems with a heel spur for the past couple months. I spend 8 to 12 hours a day on my feet and alot of that time is walking on ceramic tile. the past week my heel has gotton sooooo painful I can't stand it. I have to walk in such a way as not to put any weight on it. The doctor gave me a cortisone shot in my heel but it hasn't helped. He told me I have to try and soak my foot in ICE water for 20mins up to 3 times a day. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! I know it's going to hurt so bad to but my foot in ice so I've been putting it off. well tonight I finally broke down and did it. It hurt so bad I was in tears. so here I am sitting on the couch crying in fromt of my family with my foot in ice and my daughter comes and sits on the cough next to me, wraps her arms around me, and starts singing to me the song I used to sing to her when she was little and sick. I felt like such a jerk. She's 19 she's not suppose to have to take care of me! of course at the same time I was so proud of her to be so sensitive and caring when I needed her. I 'm sorry just needed to get it out. I will miss her so much when she goes back to michigan Sunday. I think I might just have to kidnap her and keep her home

12/28/2007 09:52 PM
CJ

Wow, heel spurs are the worse, and mine would come regardless of what kind of activity I had that day. Cold water never entered my mind as a way to seek relief, though I suppose there might be some logic to it.

What I used, that greatly helped, was a back massager (the kind the vibrates, not the Shiatsu kind) and place your feet on one of the vibrating panels for about 30 minutes or as long as you feel that it's working for you. For me using heat as well as an hour of this got rid of the pain and relaxed my feet.

You also may want to soak you doctor's head in cold water, that may also help with the pain.Tongue

I hope that helps.

12/28/2007 11:21 PM
ellie1

OH, Snoopy, how BLESSED you are to have such a sweet, caring, wonderful daughter, who is obviosly very empathatic when it comes to your pain. YOU have done a fabulous job to raise such a sweetie when most kids that age are pretty much self involved! Feel that love from her and please try not to feel so guilty about having her see you in so much pain. Life is NOT easy and our kids know we are sick...if they show they care, that is just awesome!

Have you tried to freeze water in Dixie cups and then rub the cups over your heels so that your entire foot does not hurt so terribly with the shock of the cold? Please, try it and let me know if that helps, OK? I wish you the very best, as always, my friend! Jocelyn

12/29/2007 07:51 AM
shar
shar  

Hugs out to you Snoopy! You poor thing. I hope today finds you feeling much better hun.I have to say, reading about your daughter pulled at my heartstrings, what a special girl you have there.

Thinking of you,

Shar

12/29/2007 08:51 AM
coffeebean
coffeebean  

I also freeze the plastic soda or water bottles and roll my feet over them while sitting at a desk or wherever. This got me thru the pain before I finally had surgery. It can be very painful. Good luck. Glad your daughter wants to help take care of you.

12/29/2007 05:20 PM
Snoopy30
Snoopy30  

thanks everyone for your kind words. Cj I think I may have to take your advise about the dr's head. I was only able to get my heel in the water and not the whole foot. I't amazing I had this happen several years ago9pre fibro) and it was nothing to put my foot in the water goes to show you how things change. As for my daughter I love her dearly. She really is a very caring and kind person. She is just starting out a career as an EMT and after seening how much compasion she show me I know she will go far with it. Unfortunately she leaves me tomarrow to go back to Michigan. I will misss her terribly

12/29/2007 05:39 PM
cindyloo
cindyloo  

Sorry to hear about your poor foot! Have you ever hear about using a frozen bag of peas, yes I said peas. That way you can have it go around the part that hurts.

It sounds like you have a wonderful daughter! And I'm sure your going to miss her! I'm so emotional lately, you and your daughter made me cry. Don't worry...every thing is making me cry.

Cindy

12/29/2007 05:54 PM
spruce1
spruce1  

Snoopy,

I hope your feet get to feeling better...that's almost the most important part of our body and affects your whole body. I've never been told I had heel spurs, however I have a foot condition that is very painful and can barely stay long on my feet! I really feel your pain and that you have to work everyday my heart goes out to youSad ! I hope you are better soon. Also, I'm glad you have such a daughter that gives you such support!!!Cheerful

Spruce

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved