MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/28/2011 03:49 AM

Painful EDEMA in legs, ankles, and feet

jeanetter44
jeanetter44  

Hello everyone! I hope this LAST DAY OF FEBRUARY is going well for you. I wanted to pose this question to all of you awhile back however I don't want to come across as whiny but there are for certain symptoms that accommodate Fibro other than the Fibro pain all over daily that I would like to ask about specifically.

For four days now, I have had EDEMA in my legs, ankles, and feet. On day two they were especially HUGE and it hurt to walk. Day three, the swelling was still present but went down considerably. My question is do any of you have PAIN FROM EDEMA so badly that you can BARELY WALK during bouts of edema? The pain is just unbearable along with all the other fibro pain.

I tell my PCP about this and he won't give me diuretics but had me get those really tight open toed support hose from the bottom of my knee down, and I mean squeezing into them!

Any comments, experiences, suggestions are always most appreciated from my friends at mdjunction! You all are irreplaceable! Thanks everyone!

Much Love,

Jeanette <3

02/28/2011 04:11 AM
shamarie6
shamarie6  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Good morning, Jeanette!! Man, I'm sorry to hear that you're suffering with this so much..Sad

I don't have the edema in my legs. I do tend to swell in my belly, but I'm pretty sure it's not considerend edema. I do know, however, that edema can be painful at times. The stockings they have you wearing are probably compression stockings (TED hose). They are designed to reduce the swelling. They may not be very comfortable, but I would deffinitely follow your docs orders, because he more than likely is having you wear them for a very good reason. Is there a possibility that you have a clot?

I hope the swelling starts to go down & you find some relief soon.

02/28/2011 04:12 AM
slopokidog
slopokidog  

I do not get edema, but my first thought was, how is your blood pressure?

I would also get a second opinion, you shouldn't have to try to live with edema imo.

02/28/2011 04:46 AM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

You should def seek out another opinion as slopokidog said you shouldnt have to live like that and it sounds like your being brushed off, there's no swelling with Fibro so that needs to be checked further. The stockings as Sha said you should follow the orders for now until you get another opinion because they could be to avoid blood clots like those air boots that they stick on if you are gonna be laid up in the hospital they squeeze your legs and circulate the blood, something like that but still not a perfect system. Good luck! Hugs Smile

02/28/2011 05:34 AM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Good morning Jeanette,

I don t know if it is actually edema that I get from time to time but sometimes the insides of my ankles will swell or get huge knots . They don t always hurt nor does the swelling last very long but it is worrisome.

I agree with all that has been said above and if I were you, I would definitely seek a second opinion.

Marilyn

Post edited by: Auntie3285, at: 02/28/2011 05:35 AM

02/28/2011 07:02 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

Im worried.has your doc seen the edema you have had? it needs to be taking seriously,

do you take any meds that could cause it? like lyrica?

02/28/2011 07:56 AM
jeanetter44
jeanetter44  

Thank you all so much for you responses. The edema happens almost monthly for 5 days or so and is extremely painful. It's better today. Still swollen but nothing like Thursday night/Friday..if any of you had children do you remember like the day after giving birth how huge anyone's feet got? Well with both my girls my feet/legs/ankles got huge! I recall my Aunt asking if it hurt and it did not, just felt funny when I walked and then next day it was gone and I felt like Cinderella after that! lol

This is a different monster, the pain of it is unbelievably bad. And you are all correct my doctor brushes everything I say off. Jokes, says I have a bad attitude, uh..YEAH! I'm in excruciating pain! I want to rid myself of him so badly right now but I'm in the middle of court appeals and he's the "professional" (loose term) I need to satisfy this game the State is playing on me, telling my that my case of Fibromyalgia has no merit and I can work a 40 our work week. I've lost everything already, my car I had over $14,000 in to pay off, repo'd, didn't work at all in 2010 and was unable to pay off my credit card balances, and none of them was willing to work with me until I get disability. My father was going to loan me $8,000 to payoff my loan with Wells Fargo and they would not accept it on a 2008 Jeep Liberty, they would have gotten their money for the car with that amount! Nope...they wouldn't do it, so there goes my car.

I'm supposed to start making payments on my student loan in June and interest is accruing as I type. I'm just so financially screwed now to boot. I found myself in this position 14 years ago after my ex-husband drove me into the ground financially and we had to file bankruptcy in 1997, it's one of the worst feelings in the world. What I learned is that I ALLOWED him to do that to me and my credit. I cried leaving the bankruptcy proceedings and he was just so cold and asked me why the H**L I was crying. It feels horrible to not be able to pay your debts!!! I didn't ask for this illness, but I got it. And I worked so hard to be a single parent (a true single parent as he abandoned us and never paid child support for NINE years and is not again)and I built my credit back up and was very proud of myself and my children as well as there were rarely any extra's and rarely went shopping, just for school clothes and summer clothes and Walmart swimsuits.

Every 16 year old my oldest daughter knew automatically was given a car on their 16th birthdays and she did not get one. And funny thing, out of all of those girls she knew, she's the only one who is still in college and will graduate in 2012 and works a bunch of hours at the University as well. It still hurts though not being able to give them just a little bit more, you know? I just can't believe this is happening to me! I worked so hard to restore my credit and my self-respect after allowing him to drag me into the hole like that!

Yes, sorry ladies, I went off on a tangent there. The compression stockings do what they are supposed to do (I think) but after awhile when my legs are that huge I HAVE to get them off, almost like a rubber band wrapped to tight around your finger. But the cost of those hose was $46!!! Just for knee high compression stockings. Why does the medical industry get to charge so much for everything! Like my daughter got the flu when she was a junior in high school and they gave her 2-Tylenol #3's at $25 a piece? Really? We are being price gouged to death by the medical industry it's ridiculous! WOW! I'm on a roll this morning...I'm going to stop now. I just can't wait until I can find a new PCP.

Thanks for allowing me to vent a bit this morning! I'm so glad I found this support group! I'm so fortunate in a way I have the best support group here at mdjunction! You ladies are so important to me and I want to thank you for always being there for me. Your support is so very, very valuable to me!!!

02/28/2011 08:31 AM
jeanetter44
jeanetter44  

Oh wow...that was the longest post ever...sorry to vent that much and thank you for "listening"! Happy Monday morning! lol...Geez!

On a much lighter note, it IS the last day of February, so that's a reason to feel good right there! We're almost to Spring (YAAYYY!)and that makes this Fibro gal very happy, for me, the hotter the better! I sleep with my heating blanket on high with fan blowing on me but I can't so how much I would recommend a heating blanket if your body like the heat. I have one on my bed and one on the couch they are soooo soothing at times I would really encourage all to get one who can tolerate the heat!

I hope all this made sense, I proofed it and everything, I'm just going off no sleep because my mother was hospitalized around one am, they're trying to stabilize her so it's wait, worry, pray and see what's in store. This is the fourth time in 10 months so we're geeing kind of used to it. As much as you can be anyways. God Bless and thanks again everyone! <3 J

02/28/2011 08:50 AM
shamarie6
shamarie6  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I am praying for you and your family as you go through this difficult time. It's really hard to stay strong & focused when you're low on sleep. Try to get some rest & I hope that you & your mom get to feeling better very soon.

02/28/2011 09:40 AM
amazing1

jeanetter44,

First and foremost I am so sorry that you are in pain.

If it was ME I would either go to the Emergency Room immediately or find a different Doctor.

Why should you suffer in pain???? Blink Blink

Please take care of yourself.

Hang in there! You are not alone.

This place is a true blessing! Kissing Kissing

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved