MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/26/2008 01:51 AM

Giving up

Awarre
Awarre  

hello there...

I have a serious decision to make and I need my dear FM support groups input...

My primary doctor has been trying to talk me into going on permanent disability for over a year. I have seen at least 2 other doctors that said the same thing. I felt like they were giving up on me.

I am a young wife and mother... well I concider myself young anyway. I enjoy my work and my bosses are great.

I was on short term disabilty for about a month and went back to work in mid october. since then my pain has increased and spread. I am to the point that it is difficult for me to walk. I want to keep working but I know it is making me feel worse.

On monday I had two doctor appointments and both of them suggested I go on permanent disability. I don't know what to do. I feel that if I follow their advise I am giving into FM and if I don't follow their advise I may never feel better. does anyone have any ideas? I don't have short term disability available anymore until the middle of next year or maybe longer.

11/26/2008 03:01 AM
Mydragonfly
Mydragonfly  

I don't think that any of us wanted to ever give in to give in to FM.

I finally went on permanent disability after I got so sick that I lost all feeling in my legs and was spending weeks at a time in the hospital. For me, I had to do it for me and my children. That was back in 1995. I am much better now.

For me it was the best thing I could have done. You need to do what is going to be best for you and your family.

I am sure there will be lots of words of wisdom from others here.

dragonfly

11/26/2008 06:06 AM
Starr
Starr  

I am sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but if you go on permanent disability, does this mean you must quit your job? I mean, is it the same as applying for SSD? And where did your short term disability come from? Your employer? I realize it's morning and I'm not fully awake, but I guess I'm confused.

11/26/2008 06:56 AM
Yosuzy
Yosuzy  

Hello Awarre,

I understand how you feel. I am not at the point yet, however, I am at the point where people are telling me that it is something that I might have to consider.

Considering you are unsing the terms "disability and not Social Security" I am going to assume you are Canadian.

The one good thing in Canada is the you can always go onto Long Term Dissability and if your condition goes into remmission you can still go back to work! It is not an End all! It is not giving up! or giving in!!! You can look at it as a temporary need or a possibly a little longer then expected reccovery time! If you love you job and they truly love having you, once you are truly better, they will want you back as soon as you are truly better!

So just take it as extra time, stress free to heal, become stronger and better. So you can return to work. In the meantime, you won't have to worry about financial issues, or medications. Also when you are ready to go back to work dissability does have employment supports to help you get back.

Geese, It sounds like advise I should be giving myself! Why is it always easier to give others advise but not yourself?

Hope this helps!

Let me know, if you want to talk about this some more.

11/26/2008 07:56 PM
Awarre
Awarre  

Thank you so much for the advise. I live in Las Vegas and we don't have State disabilty here. I signed up for short term disabilty through my work. I have a little taken out of my check to keep it active. I forgot that we have long term too, maybe I should look into that. I do love my job. I just transfered to this property that is right by my house and we just opened. there is a lot going on there right now which is why my doc thinks I am in so much pain. Long hours and no days off for 2 weeks. but this week I started a normal schedule so maybe it will get better. but yes, I do love my job and the people I work for.

11/26/2008 08:05 PM
sleepwalking
sleepwalking  

I know what you are going thru hon. I loved my job. I've never been out of work. The last thing I wanted was to quit and file for disability.

But sometimes you have to do what you have to do. The fact that your doctors will support this decision is huge! You will need that if you file for disability.

And remember that the wait is more than a couple of years, so I would file and continue to work as long as you can. Please don't think you are giving in. I've done everything they told me to do and still got worse and worse.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved