MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/01/2011 01:06 PM

Steroid Injections in neck & spine

Santinagirl
Santinagirl  

I had MRI done and the results came back with 3 discs in my neck and 2 in the lower back. My pain management wants to inject a steroid into the back of my neck. I am assuming it is directly into my spine. I am scared stiff about this. Not sure if I want to risk the side effects from steroids. I have had 1 injection into my shoulder and I got huge relief from that. But the spine thing has me freaking out. Anyone had this done before?

02/01/2011 01:39 PM
debbie1955
debbie1955  

Satina,

Yep! Had those before, mine were nerve blocks, but went into the spine not into the spinal cord. I was having lots of pain in my mid back so my pain dr injected it several times. We started out with 12 shots, then 7, then 5, and then 2 and no more. Still pain free from that problem. It has been 4 yrs.

Then I started getting severe pain in my neck C6 and C7 vertabrae. He wanted to put shots in there. I am like you, I was scared. They were going to be going in at a diffferent angle and he used an U/S machine to watch the needle and see where he was. I asked him if there were any problems, especially paralized or something. He showed me on a skeleton where he was putting in the needle and how far. He said he would have to have a needle that would bend to the left and then bend and go into the spinal cord and his needles don't bend. Funny for him, serious question from me. But he made me feel comfortable before he did it. Then I reached too high at work and ruptured the disc between C6-C7. So I ended up in surgery. That is even scarier cause the disc was pushing my spinal cord flat but he referred me to the best surgeon here. He, himself would have this dr do surgery on him.

So if I had to do it to get pain relief, no problem. These were nerve blocks and steriods are for healing but I would do it. Steriods I feel, in moderation and used properly are fine. I had no problem with the steriod shot I just had put in my left shoulder where I have a partial major tear in a tendon.

Best of luck. Keep me informed and I will keep you in my prayers.

Hugs,

Debbie

02/01/2011 06:21 PM
Kimbaskicks
Kimbaskicks  

Thanks for the info, Debbie!!

02/01/2011 06:55 PM
tntmom1027
tntmom1027Posts: 537

i just had one in Oct. into my lumbar spine. They were epidural steroid injections. I have two herniated discs and my left leg was numb and under responsive. I refused teh sedation, cuz I wanted to get out of there sooner but it did hurt and was a lot of pressure so if you are scared, take the sedation lol Mine was into the nerves and discs in my spine.

THey also wanted to do facet joint injections into my cartlidge between my vertibre because the arthritis causes so much pain, but I refused them(I have heard that multiple steriod injections in the cartlidge can cause erosion) and my docs agree with my research. Since I have arthritis throughout my spine I decided against them cause it would take to many injections to control the pain.

It was very similar to getting a spinal block when I had my c-section, but it was a longer proceedure so more pressure and some pain(cuz they can't numb all the way down to your spine)

good luck

Post edited by: tntmom1027, at: 02/01/2011 06:56 PM

02/02/2011 12:04 AM
Santinagirl
Santinagirl  

Thank you both for the very helpful info. I am in so much pain. And I deal with the pain every day of my life. But I am more afraid of the pain caused by the doc injecting the needle into my spine. I have NEVER been able to get a spinal tap done because of the pressure and pain that it caused when it would hit a nerve. I need this done so bad but she wont put me to sleep. ARGH....I dont know what to do. Sad

02/02/2011 09:49 PM
tntmom1027

Just wanted to offer that I got minimul relief from my injection(granted it was only one) but have got signifigent relief from seeing my chiropractor.

In fact the pain clinic I was at wanted to have me do surgery to disconnect a nerve in my abdomen because they believed it was trapped and this was the only solution. I decided to search around for another opinion(they wouldn't refer me to anyone else). Went to my chiro today for my back and he thought it might be my discs that were causing the pain, and he was able to recreate the pain exactly by putting pressure on one of my herniated discs, so the hope now is that I can get relief from both pains witout any surgeries.

anyways enough about me, I hope you are feeling better and wish you luck with your decision. I do know that they offered me sedations(which is definately not "putting you under" as they have to have you able to speak to them and answer questions.

Good luck

ps. Sorry for the spelling I'm in a bit of fibro fog today

02/03/2011 12:34 PM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

I've had eight nerve blocks, 2 medial branch blocks and 2 RF ablations in my SI joint area. My mom had some done in her neck. I did all but the RF ablations without sedation and it really wasn't that bad. I think the worst part was the iodine. Seriously that stuff is cold!!!! Anyway, it did help me a bit but not enough to do another round a year later. I did have a coworker who had them done and he only needed one and that would last him about 6 months or so. I guess it really depends on the person. As long as you are comfortable with your dr I say go for it. You'll never know till you try.

02/04/2011 01:31 PM
Santinagirl
Santinagirl  

Thank you all for your input. @tntmom what did you mean when you said it may have caused an erosion? And @hatbox I have already had one injection in my shoulder. I couldn't even lift my arm. And iy would fall if i tried to. That one injection was uncomfortable but it has and still is helping me a great dael. I am more scared of the injection going in anywhere in my spine. I have never been able to fully complete a spinal tap due to that electricuting feeling when they hit a nerve. I am so confused on why they just cant put me to sleep all the way. Sad

02/09/2011 11:33 AM
beth1954
beth1954  

I have had probably 8 steroid injections into the spinal area for arthritis and 2 slightly bulging disks from C3-C7. None of them have really helped, but were not painful. The last 3 I got with a different Pain Management doc, he would use enough of the "mild sedation" to put me out. My daughter said the difference was he used a little Propofol. Completely out as far as I was concerned, felt nothing. Yesterday I had a Radio Frequency Thermocoagulation, where they slightly burn the nerves that are causing the problems. So far so good. I am being "cautiously optimistic!" I also got steroid injections into each of my shoulders yesterday and they feel a little bit better already. I'm not going to get the next two though because I have been missing work every other Tuesday for a few months now. I just can't keep that up. Plus the cost. Hope you find relief!

02/09/2011 11:55 AM
tntmom1027

the docs I have talked to said that repeated steroid injections into cartlidge can degrade the cartlidge and possibly causing more eroding like you get in arthritis. I'm having a foggy day so I am having trouble explaining, sorry.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved