MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/21/2008 03:09 PM

Abdominal Nerve Pain

lpete301

Does anyone have abdominal pain that is not from IBS. I was dx'd with IBS a couple of years ago and since then my abdom symptoms are not typical of IBS or any other bowel problem. I think it is Abdominal Nerve pain. My symptoms are pain after eating, nausea, constant crampy pain, bladder hyperactivity, light headedness and sweating. I have 4 spots on my stomach where the pain is concentrated and they are similar to the spots where the abdominal nerves come through the muscle.

My question is, does anyone else experience this and if so how do you deal with it? The constant crampy pain is like when my stomach hurts from worry, but 100 times worse than regular worry. Almost as if the nerve is being tickled. It hurts so bad I double up and sweat like crazy. It even hurts to breathe and nothing I have found makes it better besides Vicodin.

Any ideas?

Thanks everyone,

Linda

11/21/2008 04:05 PM
Starr
Starr  

Linda, I don't have any of what you're describing. I just wanted to ask if you have seen a gastroenterologist or a neurologist about this. What you're describing doesn't sound good, and if you haven't already, you really should get it checked out.

You might also post this question to the IBS support group (I am a leader in that group, so you'll see at least one familiar name), just in case anyone there has had something similar. Here's the link: http://www.mdjunction.com/irritable-bowel-syndrome

11/21/2008 05:44 PM
abby36
abby36Posts: 111

i don't have as strong pains as you do, but i do know that i have pains in the sides of my abdomen and lower down in my pelvic/pubic area that i believe are just more fibro ligament/muscle spasms. after my abdominal surgery i had a lot of weird pains that would come and go. doc said my nerves were healing. so maybe in fibro our nerves there are just misfiring like everything else. but i agree with starr, get it checked out for sure.

good luck!

11/22/2008 10:36 AM
Yosuzy
Yosuzy  

I really think you should get that checked out. But in the meantime, I used to have problems with my stomach until my girlfriend told me to try cutting out yeast and carbs in my diet and I have felt better since. Maybe look up on the net what yeast in foods do. I do think they have an adverse reaction for people with fibro. but not sure. I would have to look it up again.

Good luck, let me know when you find out.

Suzanne

11/22/2008 12:17 PM
lpete301

I have been to the gastro...After all the tests everything was normal and they told me IBS and put me on different meds over the last 3 years. They are the ones who told me abdominal wall pain. I have apt with pain management on Dec. 4 for this to see if it is Abdominal Cutaneous Nerve Entrapment Syndrome. My symptoms seem to fit, but I was wondering if anyone else with Fibro was experiencing the same thing and what kind of home care you use for it. I have tried virtually everything to no avail. Even changing my diet.

Linda

11/22/2008 01:11 PM
Yosuzy
Yosuzy  

YEAST!!! & CARBS

11/29/2008 07:26 PM
KayDesigner

lpete301-I too suffer with excruciating stomach problems. Depending on what I eat, I can get severe stomach pain, cramping, and (just my opinion)attributed the light headedness and sweating to the pain. I have IBS/Constipation prevalent and was diagnosed roughly 5 years ago. My Gastro was, well, for lack of better terminology - just really didn't care. Everytime I would get my 'other' non-related IBS symptoms, the doctor would tell me, 'Well, that really doesn't sound like your IBS.' Uhhh, duh...

I went through ALL the testing over and over - endoscopys / colonoscopys, etc...you name it. I finally found a great Gastro a couple years ago and he did what is called a 'Gastric Emptying Test' and found that I had what is called 'Gastroparesis'. I have had to totally change the way I eat and of course, he knew exactly what meds I needed to take.

But you really need to get this checked out. Get bold with doctors and find one that will get to your root cause instead of just trying to cover up your symptoms. You might also keep a journal of what you are eating when this happens to see if there is any correlation to your symptoms and what you are eating.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gastroparesis/DS00612

Best of luck in finding an answer...

11/30/2008 03:15 PM
lpete301

I did the gastric emptying also. It was slow, but not bad. I have had every test possible. I have pushed my doctors...All of them. After 3 years of tests, different meds and paying attention to what I eat and symptoms that show up, there is still no rhyme or reason. The only thing that makes sense is the abdominal wall nerve issue. I will let you know how it goes with the Pain Management Doc. This has been weird because when I have really bad pain I can feel it below the skin and first set of muscles, but it is not deep enough to be the bowels. I have been able to pinpoint the pain to 4 different spots...all correspond to where a nerve comes through the deep abdominal wall muscles. Hopefully Dr. Blake can inject some lidocaine into them and see if there is some improvement.

Linda

11/30/2008 04:00 PM
KayDesigner

Linda...I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. Stomach issues are so frustrating and can just be incapacitating. It is soooo terribly difficult to find a doctor that really cares and knows disorders that are not your usual run of the mill and basic disorders. I know...it took me 30 trips to the ER and 6 years to find a good one.

Best of luck on your journey and again, I sooooo feel your pain in what you are dealing with and I am so very sorry. Please do keep us up to date with what you find out.

Kay

11/30/2008 05:32 PM
gettingoldsucks
gettingoldsucks  

I'v had the same abdominal pain since 04/06. Everyday, it never goes away except first thing in the morning. As soon as I eat or drink anything, it's there and stays with me all day. Had all the tests done in 06 and they wouldn't even rule it IBS. I just figured it must be the Fibro that was just Dx'd. I am going to push and see if it is gallbladder disorder. The symptons match.

Greasy and fast food and salads definitely make it worse. I have also found the only choices I have is starve myself, take vic, or just suffer with it.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved