MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/20/2008 02:56 PM

Weird symptom---feels like a sunburn

MomtoGBandH

It started out on my upper back, right over my spine about a week ago. I went to my PCP day before yesterday, she said it's my fibro and basically wouldn't do much because I have a rheumy appt in 2 weeks. She did give me some Lidoderm patches to try, but they haven't proven to help much.

Today the pain is worse. It's in several places on my back, as well as around my waist on my back where my pants were touching my skin. There is no apparent skin lesions, redness, etc. I feel like I got a horrible sunburn because all of my skin just burns like fire. I am on Lyrica (150 mg a day) for several months now.

I am dying. I can't even sit on my couch comfortably. I can call my doctor, but I doubt she'll do anything, since she has been hesitant to deal with me since referring me out. Anywhere anything touches my back hurts, including wearing a bra or a shirt. Right now I'm sitting with a pillow on my lower back (it hurts, but not as much as my mid and upper back do) to keep my upper back off the couch. I could probably lay on my tummy for a while but I am home alone with my 4 yo DD until DH gets home, hopefully in about 1/2 hour.

Does anyone else get this kind of pain, and what do you do about it? My regular vicodin dose (and even taking 1 1/2 pills, which I'm not supposed to do) doesn't touch it.......

Sad

11/20/2008 03:43 PM
amommy02
amommy02  

I think you are the first person I've heard describe it the way I do. It feels just like your skin is badly sunburned only I get it from head to toe. When I get like this even the softest fabric feels like steel wool, baby's skin like sandpaper, satin like burlap, etc. Don't you just love the looks you get when you tell someone your skin hurts?Wassat I've not found anything that will even dull this particular type of pain. Sorry I can't be of some help here but I do understand. Now I know I'm not crazy.Silly

Oh, I have a nice soft comfortable bed but most of the time I feel like I'm sleeping on rocks. You ever get that?

Post edited by: amommy02, at: 11/20/2008 15:46

11/20/2008 04:24 PM
Cornbread
Cornbread  

The sunburn feeling should be looked at more closely by your doc if you use tampons. That's a symptom of Toxic Shock Syndrome. If you are using tampons currently, you need to get to the ER to be checked. If not, maybe it is just fibro. But it's worth the consideration.

11/20/2008 10:26 PM
SunnySmile
SunnySmilePosts: 43

I often have this sunburned feeling, it is definately a symptom of fibro. My mom, aunts and grandma all have fibro and they have the same symptoms too. Unfortunately the only thing that seems to help is a cool compress, if you can stand having a washcloth on the skin. The super sensitive skin is common with fibro in my opinion.

11/20/2008 10:34 PM
Starr
Starr  

Your mom, aunts and grandma all have fibro? Wow, that must be so hard on all of you. I hope though, that you've had a supportive family because of it.

I guess there's no question of it being genetic in your family. I am the first (known) in my family to have it. Have you learned anything special about the genetic side of it?

11/20/2008 10:49 PM
Tabby
Tabby  

wow Sunny that must be tough with the 4 of you having it together, but at least you can support each other.

11/21/2008 12:55 AM
beauty4ashes
beauty4ashes  

Have you tried an oatmeal bath perhaps? If you try it, I'd get the A****O at the store, not actual oats or you'll clog your drain, but I had a period of time where I had trouble with this during my last pregnancy and my OB/GYN had me do those oatmeal soaks to help. Might be worth a try, if you haven't already, and if you can't stand the heat, you can always do a cool soak, too.

Honey, don't put up with your PCP brushing you off, and not dealing with you. She may have referred you out to the Rheumy for your FMS, but she is still your PCP, and it is still her job to help care for you. You should not be ignored and left to suffer for two weeks until the appt. with your rheumatologist. That's just wrong. If you are having this much trouble with her,.. can you look into changing your PCP? Also, if she's just passing you off to the Rheumy, can you go ahead and give them a call? Maybe they could work you in sooner, or give you some suggestions over the phone to try.

I'm sorry you are hurting so much with the skin burning sensations. Sad

Please let us know if you find relief, or what your doctors say. You're in my prayers, hun. Wink

(((HUGS)))

11/21/2008 01:04 AM
Casty
0hCasty  
VIP Member

I think I know what you're referring to but I had no idea it was connected to FMS. I get that sensation down the whole side of my right leg and spots on my back as well. All I can seem to find that helps me is time and staying off of it. I found that when it happens in my leg I have to get my weight off of it immediately. I guess even the pressure of muscles is too much on it so it hurts inside and out at the same time. But yes it feels just like when you touch a bad sunburn. Please let us know if you have any success with this.

11/21/2008 08:03 AM
MomtoGBandH

I live in a really small town and there is only 1 provider, and I guess we are lucky we have any doctor at all. I could change, but then every time I needed to see a doctor I'd have to drive 45 minutes, and right now I just can't do that.

I feel a bit better today, but usually I feel better in the AM and worse in the PM. We'll see what this day brings.

11/21/2008 11:36 AM
SunnySmile
SunnySmilePosts: 43

It's a weird thing with so many members in my family having fm. My dad is not really that supportive of my mom. He has made comments to me about her sleeping so late in the day and how she never does anything. My poor grandma is in her 80s and is pretty much a drug addict. The docs have decided at this point in her life it's better to try and not get her off the drugs. I have two aunts, my mom's sisters, who deal with it too, one is unmarried and pretty much deals with it on her own, kids are all grown and gone. The other has a great support system, as do I, so I guess we are the lucky ones. I didn't know my grandma and aunts had this until I was diagnosed and mom told me. Definately genetic in my family....I worry for my daughters.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved