MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/26/2011 11:42 AM

Rheumatologist gave me diagram of FMS!

mariwashere

The neurologist sent me to the rhuematologist thinking that perhaps some of my joint problems could be arthritic in nature. The rhuematologist said he couldn't find any evidence of arthritic issues.

He happened to have just written a paper about the Central Sensitization System and he drew me a diagram of what happens with FMS. It was amazing. I started crying and he was shocked. I explained to him that all I'd had up to this point was *words*. "Overactive nerves", amplified pain signals" blah blah blah. Intellectually I grasped what they were saying, but somehow seeing that diagram just made it so... so tangible.

He drew a basic stick figure, outlined the spine and peripheral nerves, the limb affected, and showed the signal path from limb to nerves to spine to brain and back again. He showed the signal path and the neurotransmitters involved in the paths... then he wrote the medications that impact each function of that signal pathway. So now I better understand what each medication is supposed to do and which function it's supporting.

I think part of my emotional response was also having a doctor who truly understood what was going on inside my body. I truly believe the other doctors are just reading the literature but don't really understand the process. If they did, they should have been able to to the same right? I don't know, I just know that seeing that diagram made a big difference to me.

I feel like I better understand what is going on inside my body, the importance and function of each medication and supplement I'm taking and why each thing that I do for my condition helps.

I don't have it with me, but I'll post it later when I get home if anyone else is interested.

Mari

01/26/2011 11:47 AM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

I'm glad that you have gotten a Great Dr.!! It sounds like he actually cares. Shocker! Tongue I hope the meds get to working for you soon!

01/26/2011 12:32 PM
lilcee
lilcee  

Sounds interesting. I'd like to see it when you get a chance to post it.

01/26/2011 02:37 PM
Kimbaskicks
Kimbaskicks  

That's awesome! I would have cried, too!!! Yes, please do share!!

Thanks and {Hugs}

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved