MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/19/2011 08:27 AM

Why can't I make a fist?

iamamom23

Gradually, since around Christmas my right hand and fingers have become so stiff and painful that it is absolutely impossible for me to make a fist or to open my hand completely with my fingers extended. If I push on my fingers to open them, it almost feels like they are going to break! My left hand is very stiff too, but not as bad as the right. Anyone else ever had this and will it ever get better or go away? Is this a typical symptom of FMS?

01/19/2011 08:34 AM
ouchee
ouchee  

The thing that is typical is that nothing is typical because everything is so typical that it's untypical. Do ya get what I'm saying here? Anything goes that is why we usually say that those things should be checked out by your doctor because no one person is the same so........... what is typical for one is not typical for another. Wow.............go figure huh?

Hope that helps. Cool

01/19/2011 12:14 PM
iamamom23

Thanks for the reply ouchee. I guess I was just looking for company in my misery. You know, "That happens all the time in fibromyalgia" was what I was hoping to hear.

My doctor and I are just getting to know one another and so far, I don't like what I know. He's not a great communicator and hasn't given me any feedback regarding my new diagnosis (other than a brochure!).

I do get what you're saying about nothing being typical, yet so typical . . .

01/19/2011 01:04 PM
SufferingSilently
SufferingSilently  

Iamamom--wow flashbacks of when I was diagnosed...they told me over the phone and said they would send a brochure in the mail..thats compassion for you.

01/19/2011 01:14 PM
shortstuff116
shortstuff116  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hon, What you are expriencing is Arthristis. I have it in my hands, hips, spine & legs. It is very painful. I will be so happy when the weather gets warm. I Love the summer weather in Louisiana. I would rather have warm than freezing and come tonight into tomorrow, we are to have freezing rain and the temp. is suppose to be Low teens to 20's. I will have our fireplace going again.

Mine is from old age and Fibro. Arthristias goes with Fibro. It's just another part of it. When you see your doctor again, mention to him that you are having problems with your hands. He will probably have you take some X-Rays to see what's going on. That's what my doc did to me the first time I saw him and this appt. I had with him on the 29th of Dec. He took more. My RA & OA have gotten pretty bad from what he showed me on my x-rays. But, he wants to wait until March to start me on anything. I see him in March.

I have gotten to where cooking, driving, opening a bottle or using a can opener and typing hurts. So I fill a large pot up with warm water & Epson salt and soak my hands. It really helps to releive some of the pain. Also at night, I put on my gloves and put those warmers in my gloves and go to sleep. That really works to stop the pain in your fingers. Just be careful, they do get really HOT! Hope this helps. Let me know how you are doing. Hang in there. shortstuffBlink

01/19/2011 01:34 PM
ouchee
ouchee  

Where do you get these gloves and what are they called if I may ask????? Wassat

01/19/2011 01:58 PM
shortstuff116
shortstuff116  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I just use my winter gloves and the warmers are what you would put in your hunting boots. They do have hand warmers. They work great with the pain in my hands & fingers. Hope they work for you. shortstuffSmile

01/20/2011 09:58 AM
ouchee
ouchee  

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try it. Cool

01/20/2011 10:34 AM
DragonflyGirl
DragonflyGirl  

I use Arnica gel. It is a miracle gel! It's homeopathic, I get it at our local health food store. It comes in cream forms and is also mixed in with other lotions etc., but I get the pure gel and I use it for everything bruises, stiffness, pain, swelling; it's amazing. When I'm really having trouble getting my hands and fingers I put the gel on and rub it in just as you would lotion. This stuff is so great I have tubes of it in 3 rooms in my house, a tube in my purse, my car and I even have them at family and friends houses that I got to, just in case! And now, those friends and family are seeing how wonderful it is and are using it as well!! I hope you can find it and give it s try, or find some sort of reliefSad

Good luck Wink

Jenn

01/20/2011 10:43 AM
shortstuff116
shortstuff116  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Jenn, Thanks for that. I will look for that. I need to find something that will work during the day for myself and hubby. He's having a hard time with his hands to. We have a health store here and I will go look for it. Thanks! Hope you have a good day! shortstuffBlink

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved