MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/14/2011 08:54 PM

waking up with numb arms and cold hands?

princetonjet
princetonjet  

hey everyone, I have been waking up in the middle of the night with numb arms and freezing cold hands????? what the heck is this? and my knuckles in my hands are swollen i had to get my wedding ring off and size it up from a 6 to an 8???? going to rheum dr in two weeks ??? has anyone had this happen to them? my hands are cold all the time i wear gloves ... and its 70 outside, i live in socal so i cant blame the weather.... thanks any advice would be good.. .gentle hugs...

01/14/2011 09:05 PM
tntmom1027
tntmom1027Posts: 537

I walk up with numb hands and now numb arms, and my doctor said it was carpal tunnel, but i haven't talked with her about my whole arm going numb, but I'm sure its my nerves.

I think there can be many causes though so its good to talk with them.

I also get swelling, but that is caused by my arthritis.

01/15/2011 04:08 AM
Nitalynn
Nitalynn  

I think I would at least call if not actually go see my primary care physician sooner about it if I were in your shoes. Resizing a ring makes it sound like it is definitely not a one off or occasional situation. I do not know much about such things but off hand (sorry, no pun intended) I would think of significant fluid retention which could be a lot of things including heart and kidneys.

01/15/2011 05:24 AM
oroman
oroman  

I too have this happen to me at times, but I also have Arthritis in my hands. But you are pointing out "Heart" concerns, Thanks for this. I will be seeing my rheumy this coming Monday and will have him check my blood pressure just as an extra measure.

Thanks ladies. Have a good day. Olga

01/15/2011 09:21 AM
jmbrooks0819
jmbrooks0819  

Hello! Sorry that you are going through this. I have cold hands and feet all the time. No matter what the weather is like. My hands and feet also get numb really easy. They also change colors if im cold, get red, bluish, or really pale. My doctor said its Raynauds. Which i think, (not positive on this) has to do with decreases blood flow to the fingers and toes.

I do have occasional swelling in my hands at night which makes it extremely difficult to get my wedding ring off (bc it hurts). But I am also pregnant so for me Im sure thats what the problem with the swelling is. Make sure u mention it at your next appointment, 2 ring sizes is a pretty big change. Good Luck!

01/15/2011 09:24 AM
princetonjet
princetonjet  

thanks everyone for your awesome replies to my questions.... you definetly gave me some food for thought and some good questions to bring up to my dr. i have an appt on the 27th.... i apologize for not being on here much, but as we are talkin about hands and fingers, it is hard to types, so i check in on here, but sometimes i do not always write, but i am chking in on y ou all, love you all Smile hugs

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved